AVB/MILAN protocol addon card

Forums Forums SQ Forums SQ feature suggestions AVB/MILAN protocol addon card

Tagged: , ,

This topic contains 8 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of SteffenR SteffenR 2 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Ya-Neck
    Ya-Neck
    Participant

Hello,
    The AVB protocol recently got an “upgrade” called MILAN where a lot of pro AV manufacturers (for example l.acoustics, meyersound and others) have gathered to and are working hand in hand to make it as flawless and up to date as possible.

it seems to be the emerging protocol to look out for.

It would be really nice from A&H to offer addon cards like the Dante card for SQ but with the MILAN protocol. (Which btw also support pri and sec networks.).

Here’s a link to an article about this protocol:
    https://www-prosoundnetwork-com.cdn.ampproject.org/v/s/www.prosoundnetwork.com/.amp/gear-and-technology/at-infocomm-avb-advances-with-milan-protocol?amp_js_v=0.1&usqp=mq331AQGCAEoAVgB

And here is if you want to know more about it in general:

Home

Profile photo of Musomind
    Musomind
    Participant

I agree that an AVB option card would be a valuable asset for the SQ series.

AVB seems to be progressing as an industry standard and finding wider adoption in the pro audio realm. The new Milan protocol may accelerate that progress. If an affordable option card for the SQ could be produced, I would certainly be very interested.

Using my SQ-6 (v1.2.2), I have completed several multitrack (24+ channels) remote recording sessions using the USB-B streaming option to Pro Tools, and fortunately have an older MacBook Pro with USB 2.0 ports that generally work well. The USB cable connection seems to be critical, and I have had several brief but nervous moments when the clocking from the SQ was lost or intermittent, but those problems were resolved by reseating the USB plug in my computer.

That being said, the advantages of AVB, particularly for the current versions of Pro Tools running on current computers and operating systems, might be a more robust and forward compatible solution for multitrack recording, and would avoid some of the USB issues that have been reported.

Profile photo of Ya-Neck
    Ya-Neck
    Participant

I would even add the great advantage of video sync to your post! As everything on an AVB network is synced, no need for external time code to sync it all up which is a tremendous gain in set up/post time.

I definitely agree with all you said.

I would instantly buy that card if available!

Profile photo of Kraken
    Kraken
    Participant

I’m just gonna agree here with all above, and hope this little bump will make it to the production 😉

Profile photo of Chaos215bar2
    Chaos215bar2
    Participant

Just adding a +1 here. Dante seems to be the next best option, but frankly, support on macOS seems to be rather patchy (currently requiring older hardware to stream 64 channels at 96kHz and a 6-month old OS). AVB is supported out of the box.

The SQ series is great, but I’m currently held back from adding a second DX168 because I simply wouldn’t be able to capture the additional channels effectively.

Profile photo of SteffenR
    SteffenR
    Participant

AVB is not Milan…
    Milan uses a subset of the AVB/TSN protocol standards.
    Milan is one possible implementation of the TSN.

Older AVB implementations will not become compatible to Milan.
    Milan requires a complete redesign of essential components, the talkers and listeners use a new audio stream format, that was an AVB option before.

To make it clear… the MacOS implementation of AVB, MOTU-AVB, Presonus-AVB and RME-AVB is not compatible to Milan at the moment.

In fact this whole AVB/TSN and Milan system is a real mess at the moment. They need to streamline this… to gain more success in the near future.
    Maybe the Milan will become the go to technology in 5-10 years, but now in 2021… there is no benefit for us, the A&H users, expectable.

SteffenR
    Participant

oh I forgot to mention…

Neutrik introduced a chip for easy implementation of Milan in a future product.

Most of the Milan thing is just marketing blabla… real products are still missing at the moment.
    But they working on it. Time will tell…

https://milanavcommunity.proboards.com/

PS: AVID uses AVB as audio transport in their S6L or S3L systems, but introduced a Milan card for S6L to connect to Milan networks.
    That emphasises the problems with AVB and Milan.

Profile photo of Chaos215bar2
    Chaos215bar2
    Participant

Well, I guess we’re back where we started, then, requiring $2000 worth of add-on cards, and old OS, and, depending on the platform, soon to be outdated hardware for even full 64-channel capture.

SteffenR
    Participant

What you mean with outdated hardware?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.