Avantis Network Traffic

Forums Forums Avantis Forums Avantis troubleshooting Avantis Network Traffic

This topic contains 2 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Dan Dan 2 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of csilvey
    csilvey
    Participant

I have a recent Avantis install where our network is having some issues. I’ve been watching Wireshark logs for a while now, and I’ve noticed that the Avantis is broadcasting a lot of UDP traffic onto the network. Is this normal?

Our network is getting bogged down somewhere and I could possibly see this being an issue. When these logs were taken the console was just turned on, and was not in active use. This install is making use of ipad control for IEM management when in use.

Profile photo of Brian
    Brian
    Participant

I’m sure some traffic like that is normal.

Are you saying it is excessive? While I’ve never monitored our Avantis’s traffic like this, I can’t imagine it is enough to saturate a properly setup and working network.

Profile photo of Dan
    Dan
    Participant

It is normal for the console to broadcast UDP traffic- that’s how devices like iPads, iPhones, and computers are able to find it automatically when you open Avantis apps. It’s unlikely that this traffic has enough volume to impact network performance but you can minimize any impact (and keep unauthorized users from connecting) by putting the console on its own subnet or vlan. Our console is on a dedicated subnet that’s only accessible via a secure wifi network that doesn’t broadcast its SSID.

Better question: you say the network is getting “bogged down.” what kind of symptoms are you experiencing?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.