Avantis Direct Outs

Forums Forums Avantis Forums Avantis General Discussions Avantis Direct Outs

Tagged: , , ,

This topic contains 5 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Brian Brian 3 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Kris
    Kris
    Participant

Is there only a global direct out setting?
    I want to send post EQ direct outs to the MEs, so the in ear mix doesn’t suck, but we’re also sending 48 channels via Dante to a SQ6 for broadcast that I want just post preamp.

Profile photo of SteffenR
    SteffenR
    Participant

If you would set direct out to different points in the channel strip they would not be phase coherent anymore…

You can use tie lines for the send to the broadcast SQ,
    these are always post preamp since this is the first point available for patching…

Profile photo of Kris
    Kris
    Participant

But those are 48 individual lines and not 1 Ethernet.

Profile photo of SteffenR
    SteffenR
    Participant

But those are 48 individual lines and not 1 Ethernet.

HA?
    I don’t understand this message…

If you don’t know what a “Tie Lines” are we will explain it to you…

Profile photo of Kris
    Kris
    Participant

I would love for you to explain tie lines in detail. My only understanding of tie lines are the analog connections under the booth that says tie lines on it.

Profile photo of Brian
    Brian
    Participant

I would love for you to explain tie lines in detail. My only understanding of tie lines are the analog connections under the booth that says tie lines on it.

Tie Lines simply allow you to route inputs and/or outputs to different locations over the Allen and Heath connections (Slink, GigaAce, etc) without using up any of the processing channels on the console. It’s very similar to how you might route I/O from a Dante or Waves card, but through the proprietary A&H connections instead. It can be routing of analog I/O connected to the console, but you can also route digital I/O that’s coming/going from another source as well.

For example, if you have a digital snake and two consoles, the digital snake can only be physically connected to one of those consoles. If you need to send the channels to the second console, you would use tie lines to do this.

Or if you have an analog input/output connected to one console due to the physical location of the device and console, but need to use that input on/from another console, you would use a tie line to send that input/output to/from the second console. All without using a channel on the board that the input is physically attached to.

Or if I had two consoles, but only one had a Waves card in it, I could use tie lines to route Waves I/O to the second console through the Allen & Heath connections rather than having to buy a second Waves card.

The downside to using tie line is that the console must be turned on to pass this audio. If you had two consoles and had tie lines running through console 1, it has to be turned on to pass audio to console 2 even if you don’t need console 1 for that particular event.

Hopefully these use cases help explain why/how you would use tie lines.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.