Aux Streaming Pastor mic

Forums Forums SQ Forums SQ general discussions Aux Streaming Pastor mic

This topic contains 8 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Sxyn Sxyn 2 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of raycarroll03
    raycarroll03
    Participant

Started using an aux to stream church service and sounds better. The pastors mic is still low. Have created channel just to send to the stream. But when I increase the gain it also increase the gain for his regular channel. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Ray

Profile photo of Sxyn
    Sxyn
    Participant

Hi Ray, I am not sure if I understand your problem, but I think you have two channels, that share one mic input.
    While I don´t really know why this is happening, you shouldn´t need to use two channels, to send to an aux.
    It is possible, that gain only applies once for every physical input for data processing reasons, or something like that.
    Maybe someone else in here knows more about that.

Profile photo of Mike C
    Mike C
    Participant

Are you using just one channel for the pastors mic?

If so it sounds like you are using a mix/aux to feed to the live stream.

Set the channel pre amp gain as needed and do not adjust it to bring up the
    live stream feed, doing that changes the level of everything that channel is
    sending audio to as you have found out.

Select the mix button for the live stream, that puts all the faders into sends on fader mode for the mix/aux you selected, turn up the mic channel mix send.

Maybe pull all the other send levels down some that are the band music inputs
    and then bring up the master level on that mix/aux.

Are you using pre fade or post fade on the mix send, pre fade will work if you have
    someone who is hands on mixing the live stream audio live.
    If this is just setting up the live stream mix to follow the main mix with a few
    level adjustments made at the mix send level than you want to use post fade.

Profile photo of Mike C
    Mike C
    Participant

Sending a input into two channels has the advantage of allowing you to totally
    independently process the channel as needed. For instance one channel is EQ’d
    and process to feed the main PA the seconded channel could be set up just for
    live streaming.

It adds another level of complexity that probably is not needed in this case.

Profile photo of ozdoc
    ozdoc
    Participant

Assuming as you said you have already split the one input to two channels – this occurs post preamps. The gain on either channel controls the one preamp for that input. With dual channels inputs like this the gain, once set, should be left alone. (Anything after the gain has independent control for that channel strip – HPF / gate/ EQ / Compressor etc.) As mentioned above it’s best to get the balance of your music / spoken word correct via your auxillary mix. A properly set gain for front of house generally should also give adequate gain for your online mix.

But if you really do need more gain on the Pastors online mix channel you can also adjust the digital trim on that channel.

As mentioned by Mike C splitting the Pastor into two channels does add another level of complexity but we find it helpful for EQ reasons, with the room and online mixes requiring different EQ parameters for our spoken word.

raycarroll03
    Participant

We are using post fader for the aux channel to send to the stream and I have the aux channel for the pastors mic all the way up to 10 on the board. So I tried to copy his channel and send one to just the FOH and the other to the stream hoping that I could ride the fader higher on that channel to get a stronger signal for the stream. It did not work light thought it would. The praise team music and mics sound good but the pastor’s lapel mic to me seems to low of a volume and have had people to complain about it on the stream.

Ray

Profile photo of Mike C
    Mike C
    Participant

To do the split channel trick you have to do that at the input patching, what you called copying the channel may not have done that.

Music and band inputs will always be louder, that’s why I mentioned turning all of those
    inputs live stream mix send levels down some more and then turn up the aux master.
    Doinf that will help average out the level between the band inputs and the pastors mic.

Also try using a fair amount of compression on the live stream mix.

raycarroll03
    Participant

Could it be a possibility that the gain is not set correctly which is not giving strong enough signal for stream but okay for FOH? How is the best way to set the levels when your pastor does not want to do any setup with you but does not want you to change levels while preaching?

Ray

Profile photo of Sxyn
    Sxyn
    Participant

Hi Ray, for getting the mic level ready, the best way is to let your pastor say a few words for you.
    Even though, you might have to adjust the level a bit while he is preaching, because the volume can change if he goes away from the mic a little, or something else.
    Why is it a problem for you to do a little soundcheck in the morning?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.