Aux Outputs are stereo but using them for Send to ext. FX only Mono??

Forums Forums SQ Forums SQ general discussions Aux Outputs are stereo but using them for Send to ext. FX only Mono??

This topic contains 10 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of  Anonymous 5 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of
    Anonymous

Hello everybody ๐Ÿ™‚ I recently bought an SQ7 and I am happy with it so far and still setting it up for Studio use only. So far so good ..

I understood that the AUX out are Stereo and I have setup a Balanced Patchbay to them. I am using 2 Strymon Pedals as external Efx processing and wanted to use them with “send – return”. Means I route a signal out to the Aux ports to them and the return comes into ST1 and ST2. As in the Reference guide stands the Aux Outputs are stereo I have wired them with Balanced Y Cables..

When I then try to make an Insert in the SQ7 to a Stereo Channel then I have to assign 2 Sends from Local Socket… If I then choose the AUX Channel to route the Signal to the Pedals I can only select it one time …I cant leave the local output 2 unassigned and when I assign it I can only choose another free AUX insteat …. If I set the Instrument Stereo Channel to 2x Mono with Pan Left/Right I can assign also only one Aux to each (left/right) So for now my Pedals only getting 1 Signal coming in…

I could just use them as mono without a problem but before i start to repatch my Patchbays (wich is a lot of cabeling again and difficult to access) I thought to ask here if there is a better solution for it. Or if somebody can tell me what I am doing wrong here .. or any other Solution on how to use external Efx into the SQ7…

Thank you in advance ๐Ÿ™‚

Profile photo of MarkPAman
    MarkPAman
    Participant

Have a poke around in the Setup page. The Aux (or Mix) can each be mono or stereo, and IIRC, the first 4 will be mono be default, so you’ll need to change them.

Without the desk in front of me I forget exactly how, but I know it’s easy.

Then also check that the output patching is what you expect.

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

Thank you for answering so fast. Yep I have been already at the setup page and was at “mix stereo” there I changed the AUX 7 and AUX 8 ( these are my Sends) to Stereo. So I thought that when setting an Insert to a channel that this channel will automaticly behave with sending Left/right aut of those AUX Outputs.. .. So the SQ7 still is asking to assign a second “Send output” on a Stereo Channel and when I use it as 2x mono Channels I can only make use of an Insert for Left Pan or either the other Channel right Pan but never use the same Aux Out…. The Return works good .. I tested the Strymon with only Mono in and it transforms it to a Stereo Signal as Return… Maybe i am confusing something very bad on here ..

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

I think i just gonna set them to mono again and repatch the patchbay and then later using 2 Aux outputs to send to the pedals. That seems the only way to use it as the Sq7 is asking for a diffrent Aux output every time ( i mean one for Left and one for right ) in the Insert Menu .. I was reading somewhere that with the sacrifice of an Internal Effect from teh Sq7 it can also be made to route external EFX into teh board.. But that i haven’t figured out yet…

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

Ok what i now tried is .. In the Insert Menu from the Channel I just gave the second Local Output just a second Aux ( i did Aux 8) to be able to tip on “Apply” expecting that then the second EFx pedal will get a signal too.. But funny it isnt and the first pedal now gets left/right signal… I then tried some other Aux output to see what happends… It seems that you can use any AUX Output as a second ( on a stereo Channel) and it still works.. Strange … I should go drink a coffie before my Head starts steaming hahahaa ๐Ÿ˜‰

MarkPAman
    Participant

I think you need to look at your output routing. Your SQ can provide many more outputs than it has sockets for (until you connect more hardware), so some things are not patched to an output as default. You will need to choose the four outputs you want Mixes 7 + 8 to use.

MarkPAman
    Participant

Just noticed this on re-reading:
    “As in the Reference guide stands the Aux Outputs are stereo I have wired them with Balanced Y Cables..”

apart from the headphones, each output is mono, though they can work in pairs to be stereo.

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

yes I just thought on there must be something with the outputs. I gonna dive again back into the guide and see what i can find there.. Somewhere i must have made an error or just not understood correctly.. Well both Pedals work now as EFX send return… And i found that one Pedal is not reciving the AUX where i expected it to get .. So I have put a worm somewhere hahaha . Thank you for the reply Mark.

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

Just noticed this on re-reading:
    โ€œAs in the Reference guide stands the Aux Outputs are stereo I have wired them with Balanced Y Cables..โ€

apart from the headphones, each output is mono, though they can work in pairs to be stereo.

Oh yeah Mark you are right and thats the mistake i see now. Ok I just understood now and need to repatch . But good that this case is then solved ๐Ÿ™‚ Thank you!!!

MarkPAman
    Participant

No problem.

So, I think the things to check in Setup are that both Aux 7 and Aux 8 are set as stereo, and then in Routing, that Aux 7 is going to output 1&2 (for instance) and Aux 8 is going to outputs 3&4. Then patch these (they’ll be balanced signals) with 4 cables into your effects units via your patchbay.

The returns back from the effects back to the ST1 & ST2 inputs, you’ve got working already, so that should be it.

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

Yes all works now. It was because i got confused and thought the Aux were each Stereo out.. so i Thought “cool i gonna use a Y Cable and patch it that way .. Finaly i repatched everything with mono now and now everything works nice. I had to repatch also plenty other things that i patched in Stereo like a Tape recorder and so on … so after a few hours of changing to mono everywhere …all works in that way.. My Paper with the notes about each patchbay looks like a mess now with new infos lol. Well all in all it was simply a misunderstanding from my side in the user manual. Thank you again.
    When you wrote back and said that the Stereo for Aux is meant that they can be paired together to then act as Stereo… then it made click ๐Ÿ˜€
    Thank you again and cheers

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.