Aux Mix Routing Feature Request

Forums Forums SQ Forums SQ feature suggestions Aux Mix Routing Feature Request

This topic contains 12 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of lightingman117 lightingman117 4 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Soundpreacher
    Soundpreacher
    Participant

Just got the SQ5 yesterday.

I am used to having mix buses with separate send levels than the LR BUS that can also feed the L&R bus. From what I can tell the SQ5 allows for Groups and Auxes. Groups can be sent to the LR, but Aux buses can’t. Groups will follow the LR send level for a channel.

I like to use parallel compression. I need a compressor to control peaks on a channel, and a parallel compression bus to get the desired sound.

For example:
    For drums, I might pump the snare and toms more into the parallel compressor than the hi-hat and overheads, but I want all my drums going through this bus.

Can the Aux Mixes have the feature of being able to be assigned to the LR bus?

I would love that. Thanks!

Profile photo of SteffenR
    SteffenR
    Participant

Classical parallel compression is the heavy comprression in a sub group and dial in the level of the group additionally to the main bus

Soundpreacher
    Participant

Thanks Steffen,
    I guess I’m not classical ;p.

On all my other digital mixing console experiences, I can route a bus to the LR. The group is useful, but not as flexible.

I want different bus send levels for the channels than what is being sent to LR. I want them to be post fader, but set at different send levels.
    (Actually selectable pre/post, like the Aux Mix is set up already)

Have you ever had a parallel compression bus where you want a little less of something in it, or more of something in it?

I’m used to being able to adjust this.

Profile photo of Yann
    Yann
    Participant

Also auxes send to other auxes! I need this for group processing mics before monitors. Using groups for this now but as has been said, levels have to follow the main LR sends!

Profile photo of Chris93
    Chris93
    Participant

Does the SQ have a wet/dry mix control within the compressor like the GLD does?

Chris

Profile photo of Mfk0815
    Mfk0815
    Participant

If you look at the current owners manual chapter 7.6 at page 28 and especially 29 you can find that the answer is ‚yes‘;-)

Soundpreacher
    Participant

The wet/dry feature is nice for the channel compressor, but doesn’t solve the aux routing.

Profile photo of aaronsierra
    aaronsierra
    Participant

+1 on the aux busses being able to be assigned to the LR bus

Profile photo of KeithJ A&H
    KeithJ A&H

Hi all,

We would never make it possible to assign an Aux to the LR bus.
    An Aux is an auxiliary mix (auxiliary/different to the main LR mix) while a Group is a group of input channels that can be sent to any mix.
    One of the reasons the SQ sounds so good is not just because of the processing, but because everything is phase coherent. Signals enter the core at the same time, and leave at the same time.
    I have attached a diagram to show how routing an Aux to the mix would mean breaking this coherency.

It would be more common to use a group of input channels with these same input channels unassigned from the LR mix, but as you are wanting to combine an Aux mix with the main LR mix, this could be achieved by using a matrix output for your main system feed instead.

Hope this helps,
    Keith.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    SteffenR
    Participant

@keithjah

very interesting picture

Profile photo of lightingman117
    lightingman117
    Participant

I like the image too. It matches my tests of latency too.

Though I wish the Main/Group/Aux outputs were aligned :/
    Still, have to burn two aux/groups to do parallel compression (with a fader). Though a control knob controlling the compressor processed/unprocessed would work.

It would be sweet to have it updated to have the Mix Ext In added to the Matrix along with the latency of each position for reference.

SteffenR
    Participant

I like the image too. It matches my tests of latency too.

Though I wish the Main/Group/Aux outputs were aligned :/
    Still, have to burn two aux/groups to do parallel compression (with a fader). Though a control knob controlling the compressor processed/unprocessed would work.

It would be sweet to have it updated to have the Mix Ext In added to the Matrix along with the latency of each position for reference.

These are aligned… that’s what the picture says
    but adding the possibility to route aux to group would break that scheme

Profile photo of lightingman117
    lightingman117
    Participant

My measurements indicate otherwise. At the socket output.

I didn’t think to test the internal routing to see if it aligns internally. That would be a good idea.

https://forums.prosoundweb.com/index.php/topic,167970.msg1562666.html#msg1562666

Though I’m derailing a feature request thread started last year, my bad.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.