automute channel on deselecting from DCA

Forums Forums SQ Forums SQ feature suggestions automute channel on deselecting from DCA

This topic contains 5 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Søren Steinmetz Søren Steinmetz 2 years ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of GarethHD
    GarethHD
    Participant

this would be really helpful toggle for music theatre programming; it is a feature/possibility on other brand consoles.

‘unmute channel on dca selection’ might be very useful in conjunction.

Profile photo of SteffenR
    SteffenR
    Participant

Very confusing… I don’t understand what you are trying to suggest…

Profile photo of Brian
    Brian
    Participant

I think he is asking for exactly what he said – if you take a channel out of a DCA group, he wants the channel to automatically mute itself. On the flip side, if you add a channel to a DCA group, he wants it to automatically unmute itself.

Now I have never done theater mixing myself, but I really cannot believe that the audio engineer is manually adding and removing channels from DCA groups during a show. I think it is more likely (or a better solution) that they are using scenes to change the channels that make up a particular DCA group. Changing a scene only requires one or two button presses and it can change as many channels/DCA assignments as you want all at once vs manually adding and removing channels in a DCA group. It would be very easy to add the desired muting or unmuting of channels in the same scene as well.

So that is my solution – use scenes to make these changes and add the desired muting and unmuting as part of the scene. Set and use the recall filter on each scene to ensure it is only changing the DCA and channel mutes that you want (along with any other desired changes).

Profile photo of SteffenR
    SteffenR
    Participant

I think he is asking for exactly what he said – if you take a channel out of a DCA group, he wants the channel to automatically mute itself. On the flip side, if you add a channel to a DCA group, he wants it to automatically unmute itself.

Don’t think that this is what he asked for.

Profile photo of GarethHD
    GarethHD
    Participant

thanks for your suggestions:

it’s for the programming process. DCAs change between and during scenes to keep soloists under the fingers and chorus voices together. If you have (say) 18 radio mics with line by line mixing, some of which have lines and some of which are in the chorus and some of which are offstage, plus with frequent changes to all of those situations, you want anyone not currently in a dca to be muted because their physical channel fader is *always open*. If you don’t mute automatically, you have to mute/unmute every time you unroute/route from/to a dca, which both gets old very quickly and is prone to errors. I found recently that I had two ipads open on dca and mute groups so that I could manage this process reasonably efficiently, but I still had mistakes creeping in particularly when making changes on the fly during rehearsals.

Profile photo of Søren Steinmetz
    Søren Steinmetz
    Participant

A workaround I use in musicals, is to have a DCA unused and muted.

Then I just assign unused radiomics to that DCA when they are not in a “show” DCA.
    Or I have an unused mute group I use instead of the unused DCA, all depends on the show (and the console)

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.