automation for casual users like churches

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu feature suggestions automation for casual users like churches

This topic contains 9 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of volounteer volounteer 3 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of volounteer
    volounteer
    Participant

harman dbx PA2 looks very useful to us if not to the high end pros who will be commenting soon

if AH provided that capability we would be more likely to buy it instead of what we have been doing due to our organisational structure relying on volounteers and a dealer

automate the room tuning would be a plus for the Qu either built in or add on device
    automatic feedback suppression would also be a bigger plus for the Qu as add on device
    compressor and limiter may not be needed as Qu has that

small churches and equivalent are a significant part of the sales even if not the largest market segment

while a dbx pa2 type device may not be a big cash cow, the features it brings to AH would help sell more Qus and possible even more zeds if it is an add on device with the flexibility of the harman dbx pa2

@KeithJ A&H
    comments appreciated

Profile photo of Mike C
    Mike C
    Participant

YOU DO NOT WANT TO RELY ON AUTOMATED EQ’ing OF A SOUND SYSTEM….forget the idea!!!!!

The DBX PA2 is a decent basic DSP the DBX 360 is a really good dsp, I use many 360’s
    and have installed both the PA2 and 360 in systems and never once wanted to use the
    auto function.

Walk away and quit reading marketing hype about the auto EQ functions.

volounteer
    Participant

@mikec

I was referring more to the capability than planning to use the dbx which I would rule out based on reviews and comments by folks like you.

I was hopeful that A&H could do a better job with their automation help.
    Recall not everybody has the experience that you have, nor the knowledge of other folks here.

I would be more than happy to do the EQ myself. But at times the auto feedback killer would be really useful.
    And better compression on the Qu which some higher end models come with standard or as an add on, would also be very good for our church.

Profile photo of Showtime
    Showtime
    Participant

Maybe do some education in sound reinforcement.

Tuning the system to the room and recognize feedback frequenties is basic stuff to a sound engineer.

If the compressors on the qu isn’t enough you chould look into the sq5 with the compressor pack.

The qu is a good tool, the sq5 is a beter tool.

Richard

Profile photo of Mike C
    Mike C
    Participant

Maybe do some education in sound reinforcement.

Tuning the system to the room and recognize feedback frequenties is basic stuff to a sound engineer.

If the compressors on the qu isn’t enough you chould look into the sq5 with the compressor pack.

The qu is a good tool, the sq5 is a beter tool.

Richard

Keep in mind he has been searching for a magic fix for their/his sound issues for a long time now and ignoring advice to have the system properly set up and get some real qualified people to do along with some system training.

In this case a SQ does offer more but I feel would be way too much for them to figure out.

volounteer
    Participant

@mikec

Great theory. Fails in practice.
    These are often amateurs and volounteers not pro sound system people.
    They have lives and other interests too.

Yes. The SQ5 looks much better but the church already had gotten the Qu32 which was smaller than than old analog desk.
    Budgets unfortunately are a constraint in the real world. Hopefully yall can figure that factoid out.

I know how to properly set up a system. The dealer is scheduled to do that with his mikes and computer program after the acoustical panels are installed. The problem is that I am not in charge and the MD listens to the dealer and the A1 loves to experiment with settings.

Profile photo of Mfk0815
    Mfk0815
    Participant

Again,you want to solve organizational problems with technical solutions. There are a lot of inexpensive solutions for your issues. Organize the usage of the equipment, what is allowed and what is not. Learn the limits of the equipment and what is possible and what is not. I am sure you know the „serenity prayer“.
    And at last, I already said that in another thread, auto feedback destroyer is a quick and dirty solution for temporary installations when there is no time for ringing out the system, or there are amateurs at work. But in a fixed installation it is far more better an also cheaper to ring out the system once. Or hire a pro who will do this in less than an hour. And tell you A1 that he should not touch this setup or he can search for another job. Not respecting given rules is a complete nogo.
    ButI think your church, or more exact the members of your community, are like you completly learn resistant.

volounteer
    Participant

@Mk0815

We are a group of ‘amateurs’ in the sense of sound system professionals.
    Between us we have a lot of experience in areas relating to music and sound and digital technology yada yada.
    We are going to ring the room right after the acoustic changes are installed.
    I still see a benefit in having the automatic feedback killer for when the amateurs make a mistake.
    I see people learning all the time. Not all of them know everything you do yet.
    The only problem I see is that we have an informal group that is self organized and not a formal command structure like a business might use. That is reality as our church will never operate like an IBM or GM or like other companies do.

Profile photo of Mike C
    Mike C
    Participant

I know how to properly set up a system.

Then why do you have so many issues and make such stupid request, go and use all your engneering knowlegde
    and fix the problems.

Someone who know what there doing and hearing could walk into your system with nothing more then a microphone
    and their ears make it sound better and get it configured correctly in at most a couple hours.

It sounds like your A1 needs to be demoted.

volounteer
    Participant

@mikec

I do not have issues. The church has the problems. I try to help them but I am not in charge.
    I have to plant ideas in their head and point out problems until they make the connection and act.
    I did get them to tune the room with pink noise and the computers/mikes to check response.
    That is what the dealer will do after the acoustic materials have been installed.

The A1 is now semi retired but had traveled a lot. He is now learning what he needs to know.
    My current problem is getting them to fix things for the audience, not the A1 and MD who want better ‘sound’,
    while everybody else wants the organist to be less loud and the preacherman a lot louder so he can be understood easily.

Like Rumsfeld said: you mix with the volounteers you have not the volounteers you wish you had.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.