Automatic mic mixing

Forums Forums GLD Forums GLD general discussions Automatic mic mixing

This topic contains 16 replies, has 10 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Nicola A&H Nicola A&H 8 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Saqogh93
    Saqogh93
    Participant

How could I use this function ?

Profile photo of Chris93
    Chris93
    Participant
    Profile photo of Saqogh93
    Saqogh93
    Participant

Thank you very much! I did not know,..

Profile photo of TobyDE
    TobyDE
    Participant

Very nice. I will try it out this week. Is it the Dugan algorithm?

Profile photo of MikeShand
    MikeShand
    Participant

I tried this out yesterday in church using NOM mode and pretty much the default settings, although I turned on “Best Mic”. I was only using two radio mics and a fixed lectern mic. It all seemed to work pretty well, much better than my previous attempts using gates. There were one or two occaisions where it seemed a bit slow to open a mic, but it probably wasn’t too noticable to the congregation.

I chose NOM and Best Mic since that seemed to be the appropriate thing to do, but I might experiment with other settings.

Obviously the normal usage is for services where we have nobody running the sound and it has to “just work”. Of course if the service includes hymns then it needs someone to either turn down the sound, or have people mute their radio mics (or just not sing!). I did wonder whether I could do something like put a mic on the organ that is part of the auto group, but not routed anywhere, so that when the organ was playing it ducked all the other speech mics, but I’m not sure how sucessful that would be since people singing into their radio mics are pretty loud and would probably be treated as “best” and turn them on anyway.

I’d be interested in other people’s experiences.

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

Wow I take it this is only for the GLD?
    I was told by a wee birdie (before 1.7 release) it was coming to the QU however that must have been incorrect. frivolous info at that time!
    What a tease.
    And to think I spent all of those years with the GSR24M and QU series with 12 x open lectern micsin live sound recording live to CD!? however,that’s life and progress.!
    I’m not bitter, I learned a lot!
    If I get my regular particular annual job back again,I will have to get a GLD just to get this feature!
    Exciting!

cheers

Profile photo of GCumbee
    GCumbee
    Participant

I did some bench testing the other day with the AMM on my demo GLD 80. I too found it slow on opening mics. Probably workable but slower than I would hope for. I have always found the gates to be plenty fast. Not sure why they didn’t set the same attack time on these.

MikeShand
    Participant

Yes. I wonder if changing any of the settings would improve the opening time. e.g. would reducing the off attenuation affect it becuase it didn’t have so far to slew? Or perhaps reducing the hold time might make it more inclined to switch mics. I have a feeling, not proven, that it is slower when the “wrong” mic is already open. Clutching at straws here.

As you say, gates are plenty fast enough, but the problem there is setting the threshold, so it opens for the quietest speaker, but doesn’t open when someone loud uses another mic. So I prefer the behaviour of the AMM.

I’m guessing the D-classic wouldn’t be any better and it doesn’t seem to have the right properties for this application, but I’ll give it a go and see what hapens.

Profile photo of Ana
    Ana
    Participant

+1 it’s too slow at doing its job, you can clearly here it fade as its missed the first word of a new speaker. I think nom is a little quicker than the classic, but both far too slow.

I regularly use the waves Dugan auto mixer and it is outstanding, when I heard about the release of AMM I wondered if I had wasted my money. Absolutely not, worth every penny.

Profile photo of GCumbee
    GCumbee
    Participant

Would like to see a maintenance release to improve the mic opening attack time.

Hello. Are we listening?

MikeShand
    Participant

+1 to faster attack. I’m going to attempt to use it on Thursday night with a panel of 7 people plus a chairman. Be interesting to see how it performs in that environment.

Profile photo of Anthony A&H
    Anthony A&H
    Participant

Hi,

Thank you all for the feedback regarding the AMM. Based on this information we have been working on improving the response time of the AMM and we are currently testing these changes.

Thanks,

Anthony A&H

Profile photo of GCumbee
    GCumbee
    Participant

🙂

MikeShand
    Participant

That sounds like good news.

I had a trial run with my settup for the chaired panel this afternoon. Didn’t go well 🙁 I tried to use the Chair function, but I found that I couldn’t get the chair mic to even open unless I set the sensitivity higher, even to 10. But then I found that when the mike DID open it came on a decent volume to begin with, but then faded back down significantly. I found I could reduce this effect by reducing the Chair Duck Level, but even at -3dB the effect was still noticable. It was as if the chair mic was being ducked AS WELL AS all the other mics!. I thought, maybe, I shouldn’t have it both ON and set to CHAIR, but that isn’t possible.

So what am I doing wrong? This doesn’t seem right at all. In particular, if I set the gain sufficiently high so that the ducked level of the chair mic is acceptable, the peak when it first comes on is sufficient to push it into feedback, especially if the duck level is set to much more than -3dB.

I’d thought that this scenario was the ideal use case of the AMM, but it seems not. It’s better without the chair turned on, but I think I’m going to run the session manually to be sure.

Any suggestions?

MikeShand
    Participant

I finally gave up on using AMM for the panel last Thursday evening. I couldn’t get the chair function to work at all sensibly and decided to run the whole thing manually after all. Which worked fine, but I had hoped that AMM would be more use. Disapointed.

Has anyone else had any success at all with the chair function?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.