Automatic feedback suppression?

Forums Forums SQ Forums SQ feature suggestions Automatic feedback suppression?

This topic contains 16 replies, has 12 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Andy Andy 1 year, 5 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of alli
    alli
    Participant

Hello A&H-team,

is it possible to deliver a “AFS”-Plugin for the SQ-series? Something you can insert in a Mix-Out like Waves “X-FDBK”?
    This would be such a great and time-saving feature… If it won’t come – it would be the only reason to buy a Waves Soundgrid system for me.

Thank you guys –
    Alex

Profile photo of alli
    alli
    Participant

Maybe you could implement something like that as an DEEP Plug-In in the Parametric EQ section? This would be so helpful guys!

Profile photo of New2SQ
    New2SQ
    Participant

It doesn’t even have to be auto, but make a feedback eliminator plug-in

Profile photo of Showtime
    Showtime
    Participant

Perhaps before the show ring out the monitors and soundsystem.

I have never missed a feedback eliminator.

A part of your job is room eq and monitor eq.

Richard

Profile photo of GCumbee
    GCumbee
    Participant

Mic choice, speaker placement and good tuning and there’s no need for a FB eliminator. I’ve taken them out of many systems. Cause more problems than they’re worth.

Profile photo of New2SQ
    New2SQ
    Participant

“Mic choice, speaker placement and good tuning”

Yes, I agree. Unfortunately I have a building/system that was built/installed in the 1980’s.

“Ring out the monitors and sound system”

That’s what I want to do, just not with a band from the PEQ.

I would like a feedback plug-in that has 2-4 filters with a very narrow Q to hone in on the those problem frequencies. I don’t care about auto seek-and-destroy.

Profile photo of Flo84
    Flo84
    Participant

New2SQ did you mean GEQ instead of PEQ? Because SQ has a 28-band graphic EQ on each mix.
    But I can understand that you want a more precise EQ 😉

Profile photo of New2SQ
    New2SQ
    Participant

New2SQ did you mean GEQ instead of PEQ?

No. It’s been a while since I graphed it, but the 2 major frequency problems I have to deal with are in between the bands of a graphic EQ.

I did a little leg work for this. Here is a snippet from dbx’s Feedback Eliminator AFS2 (which I have contemplated buying before we got a digital board that can accept plugins, hint, hint).

…with filter Qs up to 1/80 of an octave.

…and so I searched for Q to octave and found 1/30 octave = 43.280 Q (Octave/Q conversion). A little different.

Profile photo of GCumbee
    GCumbee
    Participant

How’s about putting a dbx PA2 or Venue 360 between your mixer and power amps? That’s what I install on all my jobs. I don’t use the feedback eliminator as I rarely need it. I have but rarely. I use the other features for processing. It’s eliminator works well though.

Profile photo of volounteer
    volounteer
    Participant

@gcumbee

How’s about putting a dbx PA2 or Venue 360 between your mixer and power amps? That’s what I install on all my jobs. I don’t use the feedback eliminator as I rarely need it.

Money. At least for a church it is harder to spend money on more tech. A software plug in would be so much better for us.

Profile photo of Better Way Ray
    Better Way Ray
    Participant

I am impressed that Allen & Heath sales department has not mandated to engineering department to create a feedback plug-in for the SQ series. Maybe it is beyond the deep processor to implement a very narrow 12 filter circuit. I personally would trade the 1/3 graphic EQ per output for a such an option. (It sucked using Graphics in the 80’s to control feedback and it sucks now.) Hey SALES! How many SQ’s have sold in the passed two years? How many are being used live? Live console use (multiply $100.00) =? I have considered going the WAVES option $1600.00 min. But NO, I chose ALLEN & HEATH! Fuck Behringer, PreSonus garbage. They’re like Alesis and Mackie in the old days.

I am aware that most engineers over use compression and don’t know what power compression is or sounds like. Twelve narrow filters won’t fix that. So for the 5% that can really show what can be achieved live, PLEASE give me/us the tools to show why ALLEN & HEATH is the best in a competitive world.

Profile photo of EJC
    EJC
    Participant

DLive now has the Source Expander – which goes a long way to addressing feedback issues on key channels.

Along with proper gain structure/system tuning, this should definitely be enough to deal with feedback issues.

Personally, I’d much prefer to see this plugin make its way down to SQ – and have the R&D team work on some other things for DLive , rather than have “feedback eliminator” which is not something I see being used in pro settings very often at all.

Profile photo of Tobi
    Tobi
    Participant

+1

Profile photo of Hugh
    Hugh
    Participant

Several years ago, when working with a QU desk, a simplified version of Smaart was available that was a wonderful tool to use with the 4 band parametric filters. Shortly after I purchased my SQ5 I asked about the Smaart Jr. option and apparently the Smaart license fee was a bit more than A&H was willing to stay with so it was discontinued. Smaart is a professional tool that is respected and deployed world wide by a majority of high end SR providers so perhaps A&H could revisit the possibility of working with Smaart to once again offer the simplified version as a paid option.
    More than twenty years ago I had an advanced Sabine auto feedback suppression device that was discontinued when it’s mother board was no longer available. The devices that followed were not close to the functional proficiency of the original unit. I have a complete Digigrid/Waves LV1 system and never have needed to use the feedback plug in.
    Hugh

Profile photo of Tobi
    Tobi
    Participant

I have situations where I could use it.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.