Auto Levels Mode

Forums Forums iLive Forums iLive feature suggestions Auto Levels Mode

This topic contains 4 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Dave Dave 10 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Dave
    Dave
    Participant

I would like to see a mode where you can switch into an auto-levels mode. I would like to see a mode that can dynamically adjust the input pads down when overload/clipping is detected and automatically adjust the channel gain up by the same amount.

For smaller shows we seldom get an adequate sound check. More often than not the instruments come out of the gate in the first set louder than the sound check levels. If I have a relatively good balance at the start, being able to get assistance from a switchable auto-level mode would help shorten the time to “dial in” the initial mix.

I would be happy to have to controllable and assign to a soft key, but being able to enable for a timed duration might also be useful. For example, I enable this mode during the first 5 minutes of a set and start fine-tuning the mix. During this process the system detects channel overloads, adjusts down input pads on overloading channels and simultaneously adjust up the channel faders. This would be even better if the physical movement of the fader was delayed if the fader to be adjusted is moving at the time. Obviously there are a few variations on how this might work, but it would be nice if the automation was not fighting me if I happen to be in the process of adjusting the same control.

If the automation was also going to average for detecting low input pads, a bit more thought would be required. However it does seem that the long-term levels could be stored and used to also work in the opposite direction.

I would presume that these options would only be used for a few minutes per show, but would be very useful for multi-performer changeovers to the next set, for one example.

Profile photo of dshriver
    dshriver
    Participant

That’s an interesting idea, but the problem I see is that the gain adjusts everything downstream of it. So just moving the faders isn’t going to keep things the same. You’d also have to adjust aux send levels, comp/gate threshholds, FX send levels, FX parameters (especially on the DEQ and Multi-Comp).

I always try to give myself some extra headroom in sound check so when the show goes live and everyone has more energy my levels are still good.

-d

Profile photo of Dave
    Dave
    Participant

Yes, it would be more involved than I indicated yet that seems to add value rather than detract. I do a lot of smaller shows where advanced preparation is minimal to non-existent. It is certainly true that all sends that are pre-fader would also have to be adjusted, though I’m not seeing where FX parameters would need to change. The whole point is to be able to adjust input gain and have the associated outputs adjust by the same amount. I’m not seeing how this affects thresholds in the DEQ and multi-comp.

Profile photo of GCumbee
    GCumbee
    Participant

I would not want levels changing on me automatically I don’t think. Better to err on the low side and ease them up rather than start with things already too hot and have to fight through distortion to get them down. Just my thoughts…
    I do a lot of video also. I rarely will ever use auto iris or auto white balance. It is usually very obvious and does not always work well. I had much rather have manual control to suit what I want to see. Auto things rarely work that well.

Profile photo of Dave
    Dave
    Participant

Let me clarify…no levels change automatically without the user taking action. I’m really discussing a manual change in the input pad and a switchable mode where the associated sends (and fader) would “automatically” offset in the opposite direction to keep the overall gain of the signal paths the same.

Obviously if there are not enough users seeing the value of such a mode it will never be implemented.

I understand perfectly if others wish to leave headroom up front. However I try to get my gain at the front of the signal chain. Since the rest of the chain is digital gain, the signal to noise is already established at the front end and remains fixed. Sometimes this leads to some chance of periodic overloads when the band plays louder than at sound check. I’m simply trying to get the assistance of automation for a brief time at the front of the show or after a band changeover. This would let me manually adjust the gain at the front while keeping the sends and output the same. As soon as I’m happy with the input levels this mode would be turned off.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The forum ‘iLive feature suggestions’ is closed to new topics and replies.