Audio Routing using a loopstation

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu general discussions Audio Routing using a loopstation

This topic contains 9 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Strat Strat 1 year, 8 months ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Strat
    Strat
    Participant

Hey,
    I’m thinking about getting the Qu16 but I’m not sure if it’s working with my live setup. I am a loopartist and a multiinstrumentalist. So what I want to do is:
    Put all my instruments (Keys, guitar, drums etc.) in the Qu16. From there the complete signal goes into the loopstation so that I can record/loop the instruments perfectly mixed. And then the signal from the loopstation goes back into the Qu16. So I can mix the loopstation input with mic/vocals and everthing else that is not supposed to be recorded by the loopstation.
    That means I need two seperate mixing routes. One route for the instruments to the loopstation and one for the loopstation and mic. Like a Sub Out split from the Main Out.
    So that the loopstation is not recording itself and the vocals.

I saw that the QU24 has sub groups. My current mixer has subgroups as well and I use those for the routing.
    But how do I do that with the Qu16?

Thanks for the help and greetings from Germany
    Strat

Profile photo of Scott
    Scott
    Participant

You could use one of the stereo mixes to do this. Individual instruments to that mix. That mix to the app. Then bring that back into one of the stereo channels to be mixed with everything else. Mono/mix channel combo will also work if you’re not using stereo at your app.

Profile photo of Mike C
    Mike C
    Participant

What Scott would work but to add be sure you do not turn up the mix
    send on the channel that feeds the loop record on the channel that you
    return the loop back into on the mixer.

Maybe to be safe un assign that mix send on the loop return channel.

Profile photo of Lexinton
    Lexinton
    Participant

Yes you can do what you want.
    All inputs that go to your loop station need to be unassigned from the L/R buss.
    While on the L/R page, push the assign button on the left side of the board. The lights above the individual faders of all the inputs that need to go to the loop station that come on when you do that need to be off.
    Next go to your mix 5/6 layer and turn up all those same faders to unity. Make sure this mix is set to receive those signals post fader. I’ve suggested 5/6 because you probably need it to be stereo, if not you can use any free mix.
    Run the outs of mix 5/6 to you loop station.
    Run the output of your loop station to two faders on the board, link these two faders to be a stereo pair.
    The level of all the signals going to yourloop station will now be controlled by their faders but will only show up as they return.

Profile photo of Mike C
    Mike C
    Participant

All inputs that go to your loop station need to be unassigned from the L/R buss.
    While on the L/R page, push the assign button on the left side of the board. The lights above the individual faders of all the inputs that need to go to the loop station that come on when you do that need to be off.

Maybe yes maybe no, depends on how your looper outputs/monitors the live input recordings.

Profile photo of Strat
    Strat
    Participant

Thank you so much for your answers and advices!
    I’m so glad that the qu16 should work with my setup.
    And a special thanks to Lexinton for the step-by-step instructions. I am a complete newbie and that helps a lot.
    I just placed my order and I can’t wait to try this out.

Profile photo of Lexinton
    Lexinton
    Participant

Yes you are right Mike.
    If you want the original signal to be heard, pre looping, you will need to have that fader assigned to the L/R buss.
    Strat in that situation if you want to play along with a loop but not have what you are presently playing being sent to the loop station you will have to switch to 5/6 mix and turn down its fader.
    Sorry for any confusion.

Profile photo of Strat
    Strat
    Participant

I finally got my qu24. The qu16 was not available, so I took the qu24 after all.
    Unfortunately I have a problem with the setup with the loopstation:

I put the guitar on channel 1 and send the signal to group 1+2 (LR unassigned). Group 1+2 goes to the loopstation. The loopstation goes into channel 24. And channel 24 to LR.
    The problem is that the guitar is louder when I play it live. And when I record it with the Loopstation and only let the record play, it’s quieter.
    So if i only play guitar i have 0db on LR. if i record it with the loopstation and then play it back and no longer play live i have -3db.
    as if channel 1 and channel 24 are audible together when recording and only channel 24 when playing the recorded track. But how is it possible if channel 1 is assigned to the group that feeds channel 24?
    And if I turn up the loopstation, the live guitar gets louder too.
    So how do I manage that the live signal from channel 1 has the same volume as the recorded signal from channel 24?

I hope that’s not to complex…

Profile photo of Mike C
    Mike C
    Participant

It sounds like to me that your looper is passing thru the direct input signal as it is being recorded in the looper.
    Is there a setting in the looper to turn off or turn down the direct input signal from coming out of the output?

Profile photo of Strat
    Strat
    Participant

Wow you are my hero of the day!
    Your guess was right. It was the direct input signal. I turned it off and the problem with the volume was solved.
    I’m so thankful that this forum exists and that you helped me!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.