Audio Racks with TRS connectors

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu feature suggestions Audio Racks with TRS connectors

Tagged: 

This topic contains 6 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of [XAP]Bob [XAP]Bob 8 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of darenager
    darenager
    Participant

I’d like to see some Audio Rack expanders with TRS connections, I do not use XLR’s as I am using only synths which have either TS or TRS 1/4″ connections. Using adapter cables is of course possible but a hassle, so are there any plans for TRS versions? Thanks.

Profile photo of mervaka
    mervaka
    Participant

Why not make up or buy some TRS to XLR cables? No adapters, no mess, easy solution once it’s done. Why would that be a hassle?

Profile photo of Andreas
    Andreas

Simple adapter cables probably won’t work well without isolating DI boxes (TRS in – XLR out).

Profile photo of [XAP]Bob
    [XAP]Bob
    Participant

Surely if they are actually TRS, not just to they’ll work fine?

Profile photo of darenager
    darenager
    Participant

Making cables is a hassle because it takes time and effort, sure I could just buy some ready made, but also the 3 currently available Audio Racks all have mic preamps which I do not need, as I do not use any microphones.

Anyway, I do think a 1/4″ TRS/TS version would be a product that might be useful for many other applications, such as studio and fixed installations, at the moment I can just use an analog summing mixer into the Qu, but it would be much better to be able to do away with that for obvious reasons.

Profile photo of Andreas
    Andreas

@bob: TRS does not provide any kind of galvanic isolation (named Ground Lift on transformer based DI boxes), which likely will be necessary if the connected device is grounded to earth (like many synths, or PC with USB connection to synth etc.). Then you will encounter a nasty ground loop producing nasty noise which you can not get rid of.
    This may (not necessarily have to) work in a studio environment with the Mixer and stuff fed from the same mains ground, but then you don’t need a stagebox at all and could plug instruments directly into the desk (which provides TRS inputs).
    In a live situation with the stagebox located on stage ground isolation is kind of necessary.

Profile photo of [XAP]Bob
    [XAP]Bob
    Participant

Of course… I’d forgotten the ground loop (it’s a long while since I’ve had any ground loop issues)

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.