"Audio MIDI Setup" for ST1 not working

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu troubleshooting "Audio MIDI Setup" for ST1 not working

This topic contains 31 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Allen & Heath Product Support Allen & Heath Product Support 9 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 32 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Trevor
    Trevor
    Participant

Hi,

I’ve been learning the ins and outs of my new QU-16 for the past week but for some reason I still cannot get my iMac to sync it’s stereo output (for non-DAW programs like iTunes, google chrome, etc) to the ST1 (17 & 18) channel rather than the default 1 & 2.

I’ve done everything suggested on a post I found on this thread about going to Utilities/Audio MIDI Setup/configure speakers and setting the LR outputs to 17 & 18 respectively. It doesn’t change a thing! I’ve restarted my computer and the programs and the mixer but nothing works. The strange part is that wen I click the test buttons “left front” and “right front” it sends signal exactly where it should, which is the ST1 channel. But the rest of the programs within the computer are still outputting to tracks 1 & 2.

I’ve gotten it setup properly in my DAW (Logic Pro 9) because I can manually choose the output setting within the program.

And this is just a personal opinion, but I really think the default output setting for the basic stereo signal should be one of the ST tracks (1,2, or 3) rather than tracks 1 & 2. I can’t see too many people wanting to eat up their first two mono tracks for basic stereo playback functioning. Kind of weird that it’s setup that way out of the box. Maybe I’m crazy.

If someone could help me out I’d really appreciate it!! I looked everywhere before posting this to make sure I wasn’t overlooking something.

Cheers
    Trevor

Profile photo of dpdan
    dpdan
    Participant

Hi Trevor,
    I agree with you that the default would have been nice if it was ST-1, not channel 1 & 2.
    I have a Qu24 and just did the same test with my Mac laptop. Here’s what I did….

Go to System Preferences and click on Sound (icon of a woofer) and choose QU24 Audio in the “Output” tab.

I then went to utilities/Audio MIDI Setup.app

Open the app and make sure that the “Stereo” tab is selected at the top.
    I then clicked on “Configure Speakers” in the lower right-hand corner.

For the left channel I chose Q25 and for the right channel Q26. When I clicked on the “left front” test button, I got no reading on the input LED’s of the St-1 channel. My guess is that you will need to use Q17 for the left and Q18 for the right channel.

DOH!

I needed to change the ST-1 input source from “Local” to USB.
    When I changed the input source to USB I had stereo audio from iTunes.

Dan

audio setup

Profile photo of dpdan
    dpdan
    Participant

I do not understand why sounds from other apps are not being routed the same,… that makes no sense.

I also don’t understand why this forum only allows one or two “edits” for posts. 🙂
    Dan

Profile photo of Trevor
    Trevor
    Participant

Man, this is really frustrating. I’d already double checked that I was selecting “USB” and not “local” for my ST1 source. I’m getting no real signal through ST1. The test signal works though! Isn’t that weird? I’ve got 17 & 18/stereo selected under the audio Midi setup window. I’m just getting no signal from the non-DAW programs. It’s very strange and really annoying because I don’t know what else to do. I really hope my board isn’t defective. I just bought it brand new.

thanks for the reply Dan.

Profile photo of dpdan
    dpdan
    Participant

I doubt your board has an issue,
    I just went back and now my laptop is outputting to channels 1&2 instead of ST-1 like I told it to,,,

very weird indeed..
    Dan

Profile photo of Trevor
    Trevor
    Participant

Now I just tried routing to ST2 (19 & 20) and ST3 (21 $ 22) but still no luck. Always double checking that the source is USB. Also just so you know, I’ve made sure my global source is USB streaming and not the QuDrive.

Profile photo of dpdan
    dpdan
    Participant

you are doing what is correct,,
    I am finishing my 10.9.3 update on the laptop and will get back here in a few minutes..
    Dan

Profile photo of Trevor
    Trevor
    Participant

Sweet, hopefully that fixes the problem and I’ll do the same.

Profile photo of dpdan
    dpdan
    Participant

this is complete crap,

I have the L & R test buttons providing pink noise to the ST-1 inputs but now iTunes is only playing into channels 1 & 2..
    CRAP!

I still have OSX 10.9.2 on the Mac Pro and I am now going to try this with that computer.

Hang in there 🙂

Profile photo of Trevor
    Trevor
    Participant

Ahhhh man that sucks haha

Profile photo of dpdan
    dpdan
    Participant

Hi Trevor,
    it is working perfectly on the Mac Pro with OSX 10.9.2 but 10.9.3 on the laptop is now broke 🙁

Earlier when I first responded to your post I used the laptop with 10.9.2 and it worked great,
    then just after the 10.9.3 update completed it was broke.
    Dang!

What OSX are you using?

Profile photo of Trevor
    Trevor
    Participant

Well, I’m updating now but when I was having the problem it was with 10.9.2, which is even weirder since that’s what was working for you. Oh technology. There’s always something.

Profile photo of dpdan
    dpdan
    Participant

let me know your success or lack thereof 🙂

you have a PM

Profile photo of Trevor
    Trevor
    Participant

Ok, I’m now fully updated to 10.9.4 (thought it was going to 10.9.3 like you but I guess .4 is the latest) and still nothing man.

Profile photo of dpdan
    dpdan
    Participant

I can’t believe it,, I just clicked on OSX update on the Mac Pro and it now has 10.9.4 available,
    it is updating now, the laptop is already 10.9.4,,, I guess I was mistaken earlier and thought it was 10.9.3

Dan

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 32 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.