Assigning chan to mix 1

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu general discussions Assigning chan to mix 1

This topic contains 9 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of steveryb3 steveryb3 5 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of steveryb3
    steveryb3
    Participant

I had my first look at the QU16 during our last gig. Could someone clear something up. When creating a monitor mix what are the exact steps to be taken. I feel that we are missing something. When adjusting the Mix 1 we are pressing sel on individual channel. I thought you could just choose Mix 1 and then all channels would be selected for adjustment. Once you set up Mix 1 using Assign and Sel buttons do you need to Sel them again when adjusting the levels after the fact or does simply going back to Mix 1 reselect the original assignment? Seems like an extra step to reselect every time.

Profile photo of LindsaySmith
    LindsaySmith
    Participant

I’ve never re-selected then. You’d only do that if adjusting PEQ, gain, etc

Profile photo of jakethepeg
    jakethepeg
    Participant

Hello Steve,

I thought you could just choose Mix 1 and then all channels would be selected for adjustment

That is correct.

As requested, exact steps to setup a mix:
    1) press the mix select key for the mix you want to edit
    2) press and hold down the assign key, then press the channel sel keys to assign/unassign each channel from the mix
    3) press and hold the pre fade key, then press the channel sel keys to set channels to be sent pre or post fader
    4) adjust the fader strips to control the volume of each channel in the mix
    Once the mix is setup, press the mix select key again to return to the main LR layer

Hope this helps,
    Jake

steveryb3
    Participant

Thank you. I will not get a chance to look at the Qu16 until after vacation. When I do I will retrace our steps and see what went wrong. Just to be clear… the mixer remembers which channels to use based on the initial assignments and are automatically selected when going back for any adjustments for that mix.

Profile photo of jakethepeg
    jakethepeg
    Participant

Steve, you mention something that went wrong – what was this?

steveryb3
    Participant

Yes…

As an example. Mix 2 (Monitor 2) included in it a guitarist that was too hot in channel 5, also a vocal mic that was too hot in channel 2. It was my understanding that you could press Mix 2 and then adjust channels 2 and 5 using the sliders without selecting them individually. It could be that we were trying to adjust the preamp going into the channel. At any rate, it looked like we had to select a channel before changing it.
    A previous comment by LindsaySmith indicated that this is the case for preamp adjustments. Since that is the case selecting each channel would be needed before adjustment but not simply adjusting the balance using the sliders. Sometimes it takes talking things out to understand the situation. Thanks again

Profile photo of GCumbee
    GCumbee
    Participant

You select the channel to adjust the preamp gain but not the fader for a particular mix. But adjusting preamp gain will affect all mixes inc the LR.

When you press a mix button all faders showthe balance of the channels in that mix.

steveryb3
    Participant

Understood Thanks.

Profile photo of MarkPAman
    MarkPAman
    Participant

For monitor mixes, leave every channel set to On, and Pre Fade (which is the default setting) and simply turn the level up/down for each mix as required.

Occasionally there’s something like a click track that I’ll turn to Off where it’s not wanted to save accidents, and the pre-show music usually gets set to post fade, if it’s routed to the mons at all. But for most channels, pushing sliders for each mix is all that’s required.

steveryb3
    Participant

Thank you Mark. That makes perfect sense.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.