Assign to main mix

Forums Forums GLD Forums GLD general discussions Assign to main mix

This topic contains 25 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of SteffenR SteffenR 4 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of
    Anonymous

Am I right in saying that on the console I would use the [Assign] button and the [Mix] button on a particular channel to put it to the main output bus? And another place to see/edit all ‘stuff’ going to the main mix would be to find the Main strip on the surface press its [SEL] and [MIX] then, under processing look at the ROUTING page? The rotaries reflect the individual channel pot levels while the (Green) [ON] allows me to put any particular channel into or out of the main mix?

Profile photo of SteffenR
    SteffenR
    Participant

What? your description is… uhm… at least confusing

the quick start guide answers all these questions

https://www.allen-heath.com/media/GLD+Quick+Start+Mixing+Guide.pdf
    https://www.allen-heath.com/media/GLD-Touch-Screen-Reference-V1.5_1.pdf

Profile photo of volounteer
    volounteer
    Participant

@SteffenR

I only.

The quick start guide is , well…., very rudimentary.

Even the full users guides are , well…., poor.

The only thing worse than the documentation, which is really good for being written by tekkies,
    is the support for USB memory sticks.

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

You can add to this someone who has never used a digital board. Does not actually get access to one except for a couple of hours a month and has no-one to turn to. All the instructions assume a familiarization with the “terms” like “Send”, “Assign”. My original was meant as question to verify stuff I have read what is available and experimented with on the GLD Editor at home. But I do not seem to have explained my concerns. I think the best bet is for me to find a GLD experienced tech in Central Florida who would be willing to go one-on-one. I would be prepared to pay for such. This forum is obviously for more experienced users.

SteffenR
    Participant

this forum is for problems related to Allen & heath products
    not mixers in general

you would not ask your car manufacturer “how to drive a car” and why it has a brake

it would be a good idea to invest some time in general audio knowledge
    at least to learn the terms we use

and it would be nice not to use “slang” since most of us are not native english speaking persons

volounteer
    Participant

@SteffenR

I knew all the terms. AH made up a bunch of their own that were new.
    No glossary in the documentation either.

volounteer
    Participant

@BobJ452

Digital is not really the problem although it helps cause it.
    The problem is that the digital boards are very different from the old analog ones.
    So even if we know how to use them and the terms there is still a problem getting them to do what we want especially when the documentation is so poor.

Conflating the problem is AH and others making up new terms and using them inconsistently with each other.

Your best bet is to first google and try to understand the terminology and how these things work.
    I read all of AH documentation a half dozen times and there are still mysteries I would not figure out on my own.

Try asking gearslutz, soundonsound forum, prosoundweb forum, and the like.
    You might even find the info already posted on one of them.

Next I would ask who you bought the think from before hunting for a GLD tech and paying them.

SteffenR
    Participant

@volounteer
    what should I say
    you are one out of 10.000 that complain about the poor docs

@bobj452
    the quick start guide is available as print in the boxes of the delivered products
    and stays the same over the lifetime of the product so it explains the most important rules and not every detail

the reference manual changes with software revisions and cover pretty everything

but there is still more…

https://support.allen-heath.com/Knowledgebase/List/Index/122/gld-series

normally I don’t recommend watching videos to learn a mixing desk workflow, but these are very helpful for the beginner
    there is a playlist related to the GLD

volounteer
    Participant

@SteffenR

You could say I was a professional writer and know what good documentation is.
    Sadly these days it is far worse to non existent.

volounteer
    Participant

@SteffenR

And yet we got no printed documentation with the delivered product.

I printed my own copies of both the quickstart and the fuller yet incomplete guide from the PDFs to have something my eyes could read comfortable.

The quickstart guide was not sufficient for our music director to set the thing up properly. I had to point him to the fuller guide online to give him a fighting chance with our new mixer.

The documentation should be complete not forcing us to hunt for separate knowledgebase bits and pieces.

Videos SUCK and I refuse to waste my time with them.
    Nor will I waste time trying to hunt down one that might answer my question.
    The sound is horrible, often inaudible. T
    The video is amateur hour gone bad with the speaker often blocking what you are trying to see.
    They take for bleeping ever to tell us what I could have read in 30 seconds and understood better.

Such is life in the age of the internet where everything is done as cheap as possible with minimum quality.
    Or not done at all. And dont pay no nevermind to the many sites spewing erroneous info and also those that deliberately lie.

I guess that is why I did not make CEO. I never saw how crappy or no documentation was really helping our company.

Profile photo of Mfk0815
    Mfk0815
    Participant

Hmm, knowing something about musical theory, composition and arrangement is not enough to handle a mixing console. Probably your MD should find a skilled sound engineer.
    Most of the A&H documentation is enough for me to understand the console and the concepts. (Only some rare information is missing but I can get it by testing it) I personally do not need the great american novel for each detail function, which means that I have to read hours and hours to find the right information. In particular the two, or three sentence, in the GLD manual fully describs the assign button handling. If A&H will deliver a full printed documentation for each console it would be an ecological disaster. Once delivered and the user can dump the manual with the first update. I would never print such documents at all.
    But probably you and your MD should go the Yamaha route, especially CL or QL. There you will get a detailed documentation.

volounteer
    Participant

@mfk0815

Our MD is a master at the console. He can see at a glance what settings are in use.
    He was used to running a much larger AH Analog desk before we got the digital.

He can ‘touchtype’ using it making multiple adjustments or changes that most of us would take some time to think about.
    He juggles the board with the CD playback and the PC playback at the same time.

AH documentation is a bare minimum and requires a lot of extra effort to see how things really fit best to initially set it up.

Ecological disaster by supplying documentation on paper is so much left wing PC nonsense.

I would have chosen Behringer M32 as that what I had used earlier again the analog one before digital came out.
    He chose to go with the dealer he trusts. I like the dealer. The support is good.
    My only gripe is AH documentation and their problems with USBs.

Now that I have learned the board the hard way I will forgive them for that needless hassle.
    They will have to come clean about the USB issues before I forget that problem and move on.

SteffenR
    Participant

@volounteer

I do a lot of work with assistance for guest technicians with my own desk (dLive) to mix their acts at corporate events or club shows

there are always very good reactions about the workflow even on technicians never feel save on A&H consoles before
    and most of them have not read the complete documentation

every desk has a quick start guide
    every desk has a reference manual, it get’s updated with every new software version
    and every desk has an build in help function that get’s updates as well

but the manufacturer is not responsible for the poor knowledge in general audio related things…
    we try to explain to you since 10 months that you have to learn some basics
    and get ignored or instructed from your side even on things where it is obvious that you have no idea what you are talking about

and btw the Qu series is one of the easiest understandable mixing desks available

and please correct your spelling, it drives me nuts
    volunteer

SteffenR
    Participant

@bobj452

could we help you?

volounteer
    Participant

@SteffenR

The workflow is not the real issue.
    It is initial set up.
    Now that our board is set up it works fine with the volounteers as long as they pay attention to what is happening on stage.

The issue is NOT poor knowledge with audio things.
    The problem is lack of full complete accurate easy documentation of HOW AH implements audio things on their device.

You keep ASSuming that we are all rubes that fell of the turnip truck today.
    We know audio quite well.
    The issue is HOW does the new AH digital board do all the things we already know how to do just now how AH does it.

My spelling is impeccable. Not sure what you think needs correcting.

The QU is quite easy at some levels, but at others it is a real chore figuring out how to set up to best work for us.
    Operation is certainly easy once you have got it running right. The problem is poor documentation and initial set up.

Fortunately the dealer gave a lot of guidance initially as the manual was, as said before, poor for many things.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.