Assign ST3 to Slider

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu general discussions Assign ST3 to Slider

This topic contains 12 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of volounteer volounteer 4 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of NewbieMaster
    NewbieMaster
    Participant

Everyone,

I am a massive Newbie. My kid’s theatre Dept has a QU-32 and anyone who understood it has graduated. So I am trying to help out. My first question relates to the QU-Drive. I read a lot of posts, and I am happy to say I have it working. I can play music out of it just fine. I have also updated the firmware.

My question is how to I assign it to a fader? ST3 is taken by a local mic. Is this possible?

Thanks!

Jay

Profile photo of MarkPAman
    MarkPAman
    Participant

Your Qu-32 has two* layers of faders. The bottom layer (yellow lights) always contains channels 1 – 32, while the upper one (blue lights) contains the 3 stereo inputs, the effects returns, the effect sends, the mix masters, the matrix masters & the DCAs.

So pressing the upper layer button gives you ST3 (which is also used for Qu-Drive playback) on the 3rd fader.

* There is a third “User Defined” layer which you can set up with anything from the other layers in any order you like.

Profile photo of JustVideo
    JustVideo
    Participant

Thank you so very much for that clear explanation. So I need to research the “user defined” layer in order to combine the mixture of inputs I need. I should be able to find this in the manual.
    There is one other question I am not too clear on how to research:

Is it possible to send ST3 to a DIFFERENT slider? If so how would that be done? Or where should I look to learn about it?

Jay

Profile photo of Mike C
    Mike C
    Participant

Is it possible to send ST3 to a DIFFERENT slider? If so how would that be done? Or where should I look to learn about it?

That would be the custom layer set up, if you hit both the top “blue layer” and the bottom “yellow layer” buttons at the same time that puts the surface in the custom layer
    mode, there is a green light that comes on by the layer buttons to indicate your in the custom layer.

To set up what you want in the custom layer go to the set up menu control custom tab, select the fader position block you want to set up and then use the encoder input knob
    to the lower right of the screen to scroll through all the choices, select the one you want and apply.

MarkPAman
    Participant

The bit in the manual you want is on page 66.

ST3 can not be patched to any other slider, but its slider can be placed anywhere you like in the custom layer.

All the inputs and outputs on the desk (except Alt out & AES) are fixed to one input or output. This is one of the things that makes the Qu series so easy to use for beginners. If you connect one of A&H’s stage boxes, you then get to choose how the inputs and outputs of that are patched, but the desk’s own sockets remain fixed.

JustVideo
    Participant

Ok so I have a wireless Mic on Channel 3 (Which is also the ST3 Location / slider) Is my only solution to move the wireless mic to a different input if I need to mix them both? Mind you this is not deal breaker, just trying to get a handle on it, that’s all.

Jay

Profile photo of volounteer
    volounteer
    Participant

@JustVideo

you can still mix everything
    just cant control each of them without changing layers or creating the custom layer to put them both there at once

Why is a mike on ST3 and not one of the regular input channels?
    As I recall the manual (we do not use ST3), ST3 would more usually be used to playback the QuDrive or possibly an external stereo source.

JustVideo
    Participant

You are correct of course. I “inherited” this setup from God knows who at Brentwood High School. I am TRYING to reverse engineer the entire thing so as to help them improve their theatre dept.

The good news is that the mic plugged into ST3 is not a popular mic and there are two others of the same type. So I think it will be easy to get around it. 🙂

It’s been quite a chore

Jay

MarkPAman
    Participant

So is the mic is plugged into the 3.5mm jack on the top of the desk? If so then it can’t be used at the same time as the USB playback.

JustVideo
    Participant

I have not yet dove into the back of the mixer. That’s today. I’ll take some photos.

volounteer
    Participant

@JustVideo

If you have an open channel with nothing connected you could move that mike from ST3.
    You should be able to see that easily.
    I use a mirror to look at the back of our Qu as there is not much room to get behind it where our is set up.

You might need an adapter for the connector depending where it is plugged into ST3 at.
    They are not expensive and readily available.

Profile photo of Mike C
    Mike C
    Participant

Ok so I have a wireless Mic on Channel 3 (Which is also the ST3 Location / slider) Is my only solution to move the wireless mic to a different input if I need to mix them both? Mind you this is not deal breaker, just trying to get a handle on it, that’s all.

Jay

Channel 3 and ST3 are two completely different channels.
    They do share the same fader but are on two different operating layers.

In the custom later, middle layer if you will is where you can assign any channel in any order you want to. You can assign outputs and mixes there as well.

Walking in to an unknown set up set up by most likely too many helpfull hands can be challenging!

volounteer
    Participant

@JustVideo

Jay,

No!!!

They are already being mixed as you type all these messages.

What you need to do is adjust them separately by hitting the layer button(s) on the left of the board.
    Push the top button , and see the blue lights, to be able to change your wireless mike level on ST3.
    Push the bottom button , and see the orangeish lights, to change the other mike on channel 3.

If you dont want to have to push layer buttons to adjust the wireless then move it to a numbered channel input.
    I cant believe a HS used all 32 of those for mikes. Worst case you swap something else for the mike and put that odd item on ST3.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.