Assign inputs to different IPs

Forums Forums SQ Forums SQ general discussions Assign inputs to different IPs

Tagged: 

This topic contains 10 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of nottooloud nottooloud 2 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of MLock
    MLock
    Participant

Hi all. I feel defeated having to come here to ask this. I’ve searched, can’t find the answer, and feel like perhaps that’s my entire issue – wrong terminology, etc.

Story: two church campuses, two SQ6 desks. Everything else different (pockets, amps, speakers, wireless, etc). Band migrates between campuses on Sunday morning. Band uses SQ4You app, but requires fiddling to get their channels set up at second campus because the IPs are different. Of course, time is very tight for setup at the second campus on Sunday morning. I want to make that problem go away, so when band arrives at campus2, they open app, connect to the system, and IP1, IP5, IP17 are the same thing as they were at campus1.

My bright idea was, okay, I’ll just change the IPs at each place to match each other… but I guess I’m not smart enough to figure out how to do that. Seems like it has to be on the I/O screen, but I’m not having success.

Example, so you know why this matters: campus1 has a full drum kit, 8 mics, plugged into a stage pocket that routes to the tech booth (from old install). So they’re plugged into Local 1-8 on the SQ6. But campus2 only has a cajon. So I’d like to move Local 1-8 at campus1 somewhere into the IP20 range, so I can put vox, guitars, etc on the front page of their SQ4You app (and most importantly, on the same IP at both campuses).

Profile photo of Eric
    Eric
    Participant

My recommendation is to have a separate network for the board. What this means is for each board to have it’s own router. It will isolated and not be on the overall church network.
    Name the wireless networks the same.
    Use the same wireless password for both routers
    Use the same DHCP range
    In the router reserve the same DHCP address for both boards.
    Both routers will be the configured the same so moving between campuses will be seamless.

Profile photo of MLock
    MLock
    Participant

Hi Eric – I’m sorry – I’m not talking Internet Protocol… I’m talking the input list (which the SQ desk calls Ip1 through Ip48), because that input list shows up sequentially in the SQ4You app.

Profile photo of Dave Meadowcroft
    Dave Meadowcroft
    Participant

Ip1 – 48 are just the default names the available input mixable channels which you can rename as you wish.
    They can be moved around on the surface of the console to display in any order you like but, as you’ve discovered, they always show in ascending order in SQ4You – which is the same as they are in the top row in the Strip Assign screen on the console, or in SQ Mix Pad, or on the left when inputs are selected in the IO screens.

If you want an instrument to appear in a different place in this default order then you need to change the channel it’s on.
    To do this change the name/colour etc of the old and new channels and unpatch the original socket(s) from the old channel and set the new channel to use that socket(s) instead.
    As the preamp is in the socket there will bo no changes required there.
    You can copy all processing from the old channel to the new one easily.
    Mix sends can be copied too but I believe you will need to do that for each Mix.
    Mute groups/DCAs will need to be edited manually.

Profile photo of MLock
    MLock
    Participant

Thank you. A good chunk of work, but I think I’m up for it.

I’m definitely not missing anything on the SQ4You app, correct? If there were a way for users to save their profile, they could simply have a campus1 and campus2 profile and save loads of time.

Assuming that’s not in the cards, I’ll set off repatching sockets.

Profile photo of Mfk0815
    Mfk0815
    Participant

You can freely assign any socket (physical input) to any input channel on your mixer. So there is no problem to assign local inputs 1-8 to, let‘s say, channel 21-28. and you can assign the main vocal (maybe connected to the input 9 of a digital stagebox) to cannel 1 and so on. There is only one limitation, you cannot assign two sockets at once to the same (mono) input channel.
    The same is true for the outputs. You can assign your aux mixes to any available output in the system.
    So you simply define the same order of input channels on both SQ consoles but do only a different input and output socket routing. That will help you to maintain the same order of the most important input channels on both consoles and also on the SQ4you app.

Profile photo of MLock
    MLock
    Participant

Thank you. I was hoping for that answer – but I guess my question is “How?”

I can see how to assign an input to a channel strip, of course.
    I can see how to quickly change an existing setup for, let’s say acoustic guitar, from SL2 to SL5, or from SL2 to Local 4.

But I’m lost on how to take an existing setup (let’s say Kick Drum) that’s currently plugged into Local 1, that lives on SQ’s “Ip1”, and pick it up and move it to Ip20. Previous answer kind of indicates it’s a bit of a rebuild instead of just a move…

Profile photo of Mfk0815
    Mfk0815
    Participant

Hmm, I don’t know how to solve that, because there are too less information about the details of the differences. So, only a general advice can be given. Make a plan, together with the band, where to put what on each console. You can use the copy and paste function of the mixer, to copy processing and mix settings from one input channel to another to reorder the channels. Unfortunately there is no way to copy the name too, so this has to be done separately. if it is easier you can store the current settings of one console to a scene on the USB drive and load it to the other console as a starting point. Then you can assign the inputs on each console as it is required. Not a two minute job but doable.

Profile photo of MLock
    MLock
    Participant

Okay folks (and for anyone who searches on this), here’s what I did.

I went to each of our active channels and stored them in the user library, pressing the “save name” and “save processing” buttons. So I had saved all of the settings from each input we use, like kick, Vox1, AGtr, EGtr, etc.

Then I laid out every channel 1-48 in order on the strips, and started recalling the saved inputs (like kick, Vox1, etc) from the library to where I wanted them. Worked a treat – both of my campuses were identically laid out on the SQ4You app yesterday!

The only thing that didn’t follow perfectly was phantom power. It would save with an input and recall correctly, but if I overwrote a an input that had phantom power on with one that didn’t, the phantom would stay on. That wasn’t a difficult fix, obviously. Looking back, a better approach would have been to erase/clear all of the input channels 1-48 before restoring on top of them. But it ended well and my band was VERY happy when they got to campus2 yesterday.

Profile photo of Mfk0815
    Mfk0815
    Participant

Good to hear that you found a way to optimize both consoles. BTW: the Gain and Phantom power is associated with the physical input socket not the input channel.

Profile photo of nottooloud
    nottooloud
    Participant

Could you have saved your scene on one desk and opened it on the other?

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.