Are all ports dsnake?

Forums Forums GLD Forums GLD troubleshooting Are all ports dsnake?

This topic contains 2 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of TobyDE TobyDE 10 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of caseymglass
    caseymglass
    Participant

Are all the input ports on the GLD and racks communicating on the same dsnake protocol? Would it be possible to hook the GLD to a switch and an AR2412 to a switch and have them connect? How about adding a AR84 to the same switch, would the GLD see it?

Profile photo of ahjeff
    ahjeff

Hi caseymglass

dSnake is a point to point protocol, and as such does not support networked topologies using Ethernet Switches. You can use standard Ethernet hardware to perform media conversion (e.g. to use a fiber optic connection), or to aggregate a dSnake link with other traffic, using VLANs. Note that the second of these two possibilities usually involves very in-depth configuration of a managed switch.

Hope this helps.

Ah, to answer your first question, yes, all the links use the same protocol.

– Jeff, A&H

Profile photo of TobyDE
    TobyDE
    Participant

Hi ahjeff,

I’ve tried to send the dSNAKE, the EXPANDER and the “normal” control network connection via one ethernet cable to the stage to an AR2412 and an AR84. Every port is set to its own VLAN and a 1 Gbit/s (VLAN tagged) trunk to the other switch is set up. When there is no traffic on the control network connection, the connection to the stage boxes work flawlessy. But as soon as I connect GLD editor and there’s traffic on the control network I got QOS erros on the dSNAKE and EXPANDER connections. I’ve turned off broadcast storm control. Unfortunately I’ve had only Netgear GS108Ev2 switches to test. I will retest with some HP ProCurve 2626 and report.

Do you have any recommandations for such a setup with compact switches (at least on the surface side)?

Best regards from Germany
    Toby

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.