AR84 & AB168 for QU24?

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu general discussions AR84 & AB168 for QU24?

Tagged: , ,

This topic contains 13 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of eotsskleet eotsskleet 9 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of sndkicker
    sndkicker
    Participant

I know the AB168 is a new unit for GLD and QU Mixers, but my question is does anyone know and tested the AR84 dSnake to the AB168 for the QU-24? I don’t want to spend the money, and then have it not work. I see in the notes it states you can use the new AB168 with AR2412 for the QU-24, but the AR84 and AB168 with the QU-24 would work much better for my application. Not to mention, the combo would have the combined number of inputs and outputs as the AR2412.

My application would look like this. AR84 Expander to AB168 Expander via Cat5. AB168 dSnake to QU-24 dSnake via Cat5. 8 Inputs/4 Outputs from AR84, 16 Inputs/8 Outputs from AB168. Would this be possible, and reliably work?

Thank you for any assistance you can provide.

Chris

AR84
    AR2412
    GLD80
    QU-16
    QU-24

Profile photo of Nicola A&H
    Nicola A&H
    Keymaster

Hi Chris,

Yes, the AB168 can be daisy-chained to an AR84. This topic has been discussed here: https://community.allen-heath.com/forums/topic/new-ab168-audiorack

Please refer to the pdf I posted in that thread for all supported dSNAKE combinations.

Profile photo of GCumbee
    GCumbee
    Participant

Nicola.
    It looks like the config he desires is not in that list.
    He wants QU>AB168>AR084. One Dsnake leg

Profile photo of sndkicker
    sndkicker
    Participant

GCumbee is correct Nicola. Unfortunately, the .pdf does not cover my request. I’m not using an AR2412, IEM or a second AB168 in this instance.

Nicola A&H
    Keymaster

I had confirmation from the developers that this setup works fine.
    In fact the Qu system will allow any combination of:

dSNAKE Main (directly connected to the mixer):
    AR2412
    AB168
    AR84

dSNAKE Expander (daisy chained):
    AB168
    AR84

Apologies for the pdf. I will amend it.

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

Hello Nicola and GCumbee
    1.5 is a Wonderful update!
    Ihave4 of these QU’s and eventually another 3 XQU32 by Christmas (hopefully)
    I have 3 of the AR2412
    I want to use one of the AR2412 each side of stage by speaker stacks. Really just the sends. NOT the input lines although that would be brilliant is I could mix portions from the different AR2412 inputs

I plugged 2 of the AR2412 in to QU16 and see there is no provision for this?
    Is that correct?
    Or am I just imagining A&H have left something out here?

Let me know please

cheers
    dave hodge NZ

Profile photo of mervaka
    mervaka
    Participant

I don’t think that configuration’s covered by what Nicola’s mentioned. This post suggests that there’s only 20 outgoing channels available to audio racks anyway.

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

Thanks for your reply Mervaka, however
    That’s not my point!
    I come from a little place down under on this planet where you have to think outside the square.
    I already own 3X AR2412 and now I’m faced with going to collect the last AR08 (in stock)(i think its called that) to be able to simply put a distro box across the other side of the 18 meter stage where I need 4 sends.
    It would be great to just assign those outputs to where you want them to go on the stage.
    I’m the guy that got caned every month at high school for smiling man!
    I don’t “always follow the rule book”
    innovation is the name of the game.

anyhow thanks for your comment

dave NZ

Profile photo of GCumbee
    GCumbee
    Participant

Dave. With all due respect. I think it is clear by the examples Nicola has put forth that you scenario does not work. There is nothing in the design for 2 AR2412’s to work. I have never tried but I would guess the console will not recognize the second one. It will recognize the new AB1608. I think you are going to have to settle for that unless they change something in the firmware.

Nicola A&H
    Keymaster

Hi Dave,

mervaka and GCumbee are correct. We only support 1x AR2412 and it has to be directly connected to the mixer.

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

Thanks guys.
    I appreciate your feedback
    I see it as an opportunity missed!? whats that old saying?
    what could have been
    How can I get a job on the design team?
    I’m caught between a rock and a hard place here.
    All of this great equipment but not quite the right connections!

I had to go get the very last AR84 one in NZ!

My summer run of events starts beginning of September.
    I don’t think the QU32 will be here by then which means…
    I’m going to have to use my 3 X QU16’s as a one desk or drag my GSR24m out for a major job I do. And that means having to take 8 X 31 band EQs and compressors out into the field.
    Frustrations!
    Actually I quite like using 3 XQU16’s
    I get 3 of everything. 3 screens. and 48 faders..
    The draw back is using the GEQ’s.
    That fries my brain.
    cheers

dave NZ

Profile photo of eotsskleet
    eotsskleet
    Participant

whats about an analog snake? if the only reason is to get 4outputs on the other stage-side…! 20m 4CH analog snake!
    EQ’s are easy to use on the Qu! While setting everything you can use the GEQ and during the show you can use only the PEQ – that’s fast and after every band you can reset them to have your standard-setting back!
    (Maybe there is a possibility to rent a GLD with an additional AR84 Rack – then you’re definitely satisfied!)

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

Thanks eotsskleet for you thoughts and ideas.
    Yes analogue cabling. I have enough of that stuff to circle a Large Arena or stadium of which I have been doing once a year for last 7 years.

However this year I was advised to use technology where possible and also to make life easier for myself!
    Its all of that “perception stuff ” business people use.

Anyhow today is a brand new day!
    I’m 59 in a few days so I need to relax the blood pressure :+)
    And go check out a cough Behringer XT … as I work with a guy that uses one later this year on a very large event doing monitors.
    I need to bring my knowledge up to date.
    I do not want to get a GLD.
    Not enough surface area and a few other things…
    Cheers
    dave NZ

Profile photo of eotsskleet
    eotsskleet
    Participant

“not enough surface area” for a GLD-80? I thought you would use 3pcs. of Qu-16 if you don’t get your Qu-32!?
    What is a Behringer XT? I couldn’t find that in the internet!

hey dave.. i will visit you in march or april next year OK? I’m from switzerland but start my worldtrip for more than a year on 4th of september 2014! Then we can talk about “possibilities to make life easier!” ;D

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.