AR Stage boxes

Forums Forums SQ Forums SQ general discussions AR Stage boxes

This topic contains 16 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of AndyC AndyC 5 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of AndyC
    AndyC
    Participant

Can we run more than 2 AR series stage boxes. We have an Ar2412 and an AR84, I want to add AR168 by the drum kit for flexability. I know I can only get 48 channels but I would like a little flexability on my stage inputs, I wont use them all I just need more and don’t want to run an analog snake to the FOH to add more channels. I’m Maxed out at 32 on stage and we are using them all

Profile photo of Mfk0815
    Mfk0815
    Participant

You can use the AR2412 and the Ab168 together. But then you cannot use the AR84. So you can use 40 inputs and 20 outputs on the stage. I used the combination of the AR2412 and the AB168 severalt times with my SQ6 before I got the two DX168/X.

Profile photo of AndyC
    AndyC
    Participant

Even if i do not use all of the inputs on the AR168, you are saying I can not add it to my chain of boxes?Im looking to only use 12 on the AR168. all 8 on the AR84 and which is in the AMP rack feeding my amps and inputs for my backing tracks. The AR2412, I will use the outputs for IEM and 20 inputs for wired vocals and Keys, Guitars and such… is that doable or will it not recognize more then 2 boxes?

Profile photo of Mfk0815
    Mfk0815
    Participant

No, only two can be cascaded. See https://www.allen-heath.com/media/SQ6_SLinkConnections_V1_2_0.pdf for possible configurations.

Profile photo of AndyC
    AndyC
    Participant

Well that stinks.. going to have to run an analog snake to get the channel count I need…..smh

Profile photo of Jens-Droessler
    Jens-Droessler
    Participant

Or add an SLink card.

Profile photo of KeithJ A&H
    KeithJ A&H

Hi AndyC,

As Jens points out, you will shortly be able to add an SLink card to increase the number of dSnake connections you have available.
    The SLink connections document linked is the best resource for seeing what’s possible, but to give you an idea of the different protocols:

dSnake (48kHz) – 2 units on each connection – 40 inputs, 20 outputs + connection to a ME system
    DX (96kHz) – 2 units on each connection – 32 inputs, 32 outputs
    GigaACE (96kHz) – 1 unit on each connection – 128 inputs, 128 outputs

So using dSnake, the maximum channel count is achieved using 1x AR2412 and 1x AB168, and for more than 40 channels you would use a DX Hub and DX units.

Thanks,
    Keith.

Profile photo of AndyC
    AndyC
    Participant

Ok, running an Slink card wont work for us, we have a dante card to use Digital Audio Labs Live mix and a few Amplifiers. Our only option at the moment is to run an anolog snake to fill in the gap to use the channels we need.

Profile photo of Flo84
    Flo84
    Participant

Hi AndyC,
    I don’t know your setup but, if you use 2 SQ (Monitors/FOH) maybe you can do this :
    – 2 dSnake devices (as Keith says) into the SQ Monitors SLink port
    – Send the inputs from SQ Monitors to SQ FOH via 1 SLink optional card in the SQ Monitors
    – 1 Dante optional card in SQ FOH

Profile photo of Mike Storm
    Mike Storm
    Participant

Sell your ARs and buy a DX Hub and 3x DX168 (or more!). You’ll upgrade to 96k audio in the process 🙂

Profile photo of AndyC
    AndyC
    Participant

Thank you all for the input but its not in my budget to make any huge changes right now. Buying an 150 foot analog snake is the simpleist way to go with out breaking the bank.

Profile photo of AndyC
    AndyC
    Participant

Unfortunately I did not build tbey sytem I have, an integrator built the system and another third party recommended to get the SQ6. They they sold me at 96k for the price point. After we paid them, i did more research and found out that they purchased the AR boxes that I stated above and not the DX boxes to run 96k. Im a bit disapointed to say the least. Also they only gave us 32 stage inputs through two boxes. Im already maxed out on inputs and need more on stage. So far im not impressed and dont have a choice right now and cant buy something new.

Profile photo of GCumbee
    GCumbee
    Participant

96k is false impression thing. What’s wrong with 48K. Works fine. In live sound it’s good enough. We recorded 48k for 30yrs. CD’s are 44.1. Yes 96k has more process power in the plugs but it’s more of a sales tool than a need. Sure I’ll get flamed for taking that stand but…..
    You can do 40 on stage with 2412 and 168.

Profile photo of AndyC
    AndyC
    Participant

Nothing wrong with 48k, We have a Sister Church which is well established and our pastor wanted me to Focus on building a team rather than a system, so our sister Church hired an Integrator to build a system and recommended that we go with the SQ6, I was against it as I am actually a Yamaha guy, I am well versed in Yamaha systems especially CL/QL consoles. I asked for a Yamaha CL5 at least but I got lots of push back due to the budget and our sister church was confident that an SQ6 was the way to go do to the 96k capability. They have never used one but insisted on us using it (they use Digico). So i went with it and I did my own research to learn that they did not include DX boxes and Got the AR2412 and a AR84. so that gives me 32 input channels on stage at 48k. Im a little disappointed but hey, I now have to work with what I have and we cant afford to change things at this point as we are limited know as the rest of the budget is now gone on other Items. So The issue really isn’t the 48k but the amount of stage inputs which we are currently maxed out on and I am feeling cramped with this system. I can in the future ditch the AR84 and get a AR168 but for now Im stuck with running an analog snake to make up the difference. Sorry Guys, Im not bagging on AH at all just not experienced with AH digital Consoles actually this will be my first one to use, its great for the price but limited on the Channel count and Input configuration, Im so used to the Yamaha CL/QL with full Dante stage boxes. Don’t get a false impression about me, I am excited to used this console and learn something new.

Profile photo of GCumbee
    GCumbee
    Participant

Seems like you could sell the 084 and the price of a snake you can just about get a 168.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.