Anyone using Samsung View to mix?

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu general discussions Anyone using Samsung View to mix?

This topic contains 24 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of  Anonymous 7 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of debzdoodle
    debzdoodle
    Participant

I was wondering if anyone was using the Samsung View tablet to mix? I have been using my iPad ever since I got my QU16 and with my QU Pac too and it has been very reliable. However,it would be great to see a much larger screen and the Samsung is huge at 18.4″. I have heard that the Android app is very good but I haven’t been able to use it as I don’t own an android device. It might be worth investing in a View as they have dropped to $449 now.

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

Thats a large touch screen!
    That runs Android…?
    good question man!
    So will this run the android app?

Samsung Galaxy View
    Platform OS Android OS, v5.1.1 (Lollipop)
    Chipset Exynos 7580 Octa
    CPU Octa-core 1.6 GHz Cortex-A53
    GPU Mali-T720MP2

Profile photo of [XAP]Bob
    [XAP]Bob
    Participant

Only one way to find out – and it’s not to ask the app author.

Buy one with the right to return, and buy the app…

Profile photo of Scott
    Scott
    Participant

+1

Amazon has a good return policy too, so that would probably be your best route.

debzdoodle
    Participant

Well… I ordered one today from Jet as they had the best price and I use them a lot these days – good company. So when it gets here, Ill report back and let everyone know how I get on. If it works…. it’s gonna be great using such huge screen.

Profile photo of Scott
    Scott
    Participant

Looking forward to hearing how it goes. I have a lot of gigs booked for my Qu Pac over the next couple of months.

debzdoodle
    Participant

Even though I have an abundance of cases and bags, I don’t have anything suitable due to it’s size so I had to purchase a large laptop bag. The bag that I keep seeing appears to be designed for the tablet and is $50. However, some reviewers state it’s not worth the money and because I already own so many I didn’t want to risk it. However, I found an inexpensive option on fleabay for $16 and I own plenty of foam so if I have to add a protective layer or 2 (if it fits ), I will.
    I have since spoken to a couple of folks who use the Android app Mixing Station and they really like it so I’m looking forward to that. Apparently it’s possible to get up to 18 faders on the screen without sacrificing usability or detail….nice.

debzdoodle
    Participant

The Samsung View came yesterday and I spent a good few hours becoming familiar with the Mixing Station app. Really nice app – well done and thank you Davidgiga!
    Quite different from the iPad app with more sub menus to get to certain things but quite a straightforward work flow and some nice touches like custom color scribble strips and the ability to name and save each template chosen for each band (or venue). Depending on how many channels you choose to display on the custom setting, the actual width of the fader changes to fill the page accordingly. So on the 18.4″ screen if only using say 16 channel faders, there is SO MUCH room and the ‘feel’ is really nice too. The fader movement is very responsive and smooth.
    I connected to the router in seconds and was up and running right away.
    For the first couple of shows, I’ll set up both the Samsung and the iPad so I can get to where I need to be quickly. In fact I might just use both all the time because I can spread out my individual 1-16 or 1-24 and main channel faders on the Samsung and have the iPad set up with a custom setting of everything else I need for that show.ie. FX’s, mixes etc.
    One more thing – for anyone who is looking to get one of these, wait till it arrives and then register it with Samsung. You then get mailed a 50% off accessory code which I just used to purchase the Samsung case I didn’t want to spend $50 on!!

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

This sounds really good to hear.

Any chance of couple pics just off your phone ?

I did buy the pro version earlier and tried to run it on my PC with some other interface but gave up.
    However if this is stable and large enough to use as a monitor desk/tablet then you may have solved a lot of users issues with wanting a difital monitor split large enough…..

So at a really high profile important gig, would you trust it with multiple band changes?

Those tablets are $1100 NZ 😐

debzdoodle
    Participant

Well so far I haven’t used it out in the ‘real world’ of course. I think its gonna be fine though, the connection was almost immediate and I had no dropouts going back to it on and off all day yesterday and today with my phone, laptop, desktop and iPad all on. I placed the tablet about 30-40 ft away from the router and mixer. I’ll know how well it compares to the iPad once I get to use it live. I’ll take some pics tomorrow – anything you want to see in particular? If this is a success, this really bridges the gap between iPad format and something much larger and more usable – AND it is very affordable too.

Regarding multiple bands…. it takes a bit longer to set the custom layers because there is no drag function and once the channels are in position, you can’t move them around like the iPad (you have to delete them off first). The secret though is when you hit each channel to add to the layer, you do it in the order you want them to display. If you mess up you just delete and go back to where you went wrong. Now I have that worked out, it is easy.
    However, what is nice is that if you had a stage plot beforehand, you could prep the tablet and save one of the many custom templates along with the band name to recall later. This is something the iPad doesn’t do – it just has the 3 custom layers that you cannot name.
    I really like the scribble strip coloring… its so easy to find everything quickly.

So far I see missing that would be nice to have…..QU record, Scene names (just numbers) for easy recall, one channel width mute group, library recall.

Profile photo of airickess
    airickess
    Participant

Thanks for that review, debzdoodle. No Scene names means no interest on my part. I use lots of scenes frequently and no names displayed is a deal breaker.

debzdoodle
    Participant

I can see that being a problem for some folks. I thought I was missing something at first because the developer has made such a good job of allowing many of the tabs editable – but not these – unless I have missed something…..I do think though that the benefits far outweigh the shortcomings here. As a suggestion- you could keep a list of the scene names close by perhaps?? Has anyone using Mixing Station found a way round this?

debzdoodle
    Participant

Overall… still very happy but I’m seeing a few issues that I have noted and sent a message to the developer for some help…. will get back and update according to the results.

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

Thank-you for keeping us that loop review, debzdoodle.
    I’m keen to pursue this solely from a large touch screen scenario.

debzdoodle
    Participant

Last night I decided to install the PRO version of the app. I now have many more custom features. I can drag faders to set up just like the iPad, I have added PEQ previews above each channel, added a bridge meter and really made each layer file my own.I also set up a second layer to mimic the QU 16 layers so switching back and forth is the same as on the mixer itself.

I am having a bit of an issue with meters freezing on me requiring a reboot of the app and was hoping that installing the pro version might help but it hasn’t- so I am waiting for David to get back to me. I thought it might be associated with the power save function of the tablet but I changed it up to 30 minutes and the problem still existed. I tried both my QU16 and my QU PAC – same problem. I wish I had a second android device to check but I don’t so ……..
    However, last night I mixed on the tablet using a recording through QU drive and was constantly moving faders etc and it stayed on the whole time (about 45 minutes) which makes me think it is related somehow to a sleep mode of some kind.
    Anyway, just wanted to report back so that anyone interested in getting the tablet or switching to Android gets all the info I have up to this point…

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.