Any way to disable MUTE and CHANNEL ON/OFF

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu general discussions Any way to disable MUTE and CHANNEL ON/OFF

This topic contains 15 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Dick Rees Dick Rees 7 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of crizdee
    crizdee
    Participant

Hi,

Is there any way to do this at the moment? we have assistant engineers walking around with ipads and several times now they have accidentally touched the mute and channel on/off buttons with dire consequences, once was the L/R Mute on the opening song!!

Chris

Profile photo of Dick Rees
    Dick Rees
    Participant

Manual > Home Screen > User

Profile photo of crizdee
    crizdee
    Participant

Hi,

Are you referring to permissions option? can’t see any way to block channel on/off or channel mute.

Only block access to mixes and groups and channel routing and QU drive recording etc. am i missing something?

Chris

Dick Rees
    Participant

Yes. That is the only way to address such issues/options.
    I’m sorry, but I cannot understand why you have multiple operators in the first place.
    It’s not a great idea…

Profile photo of crizdee
    crizdee
    Participant

Hi,

13 piece band all with radio mics and in ears so someone has to be by the desk/stage area doing mon mix and the other has to walk the venue doing front of house.

still can’t see how this enables you to lock out the mutes and on/off buttons. i haven’t got the desk in front of me just the ipad app so maybe its different when its connected!!

Chris

Dick Rees
    Participant

You’re stuck with training the techs how to do their jobs properly, I guess.

You MIGHT be able to make a screen overlay for the iPad which would prevent the mute and on/off from being accessed. Don’t know if it would work without compromising touch-screen functionality, though.

Good luck.

Profile photo of crizdee
    crizdee
    Participant

Hi,

This isn’t a training issue, these guys know how to operate the app its just you’re in a busy room with flashing lights and the master fader mute button is only 2mm away from the group/mix select buttons. Ive even had people come up and try and touch the ipad whilst walking the room. its a live bomb in my opinion without the ability to lock out certain show stopping buttons.

Anyway, looks like its not available at the moment so going to be a feature request.

Thanks Chris

Profile photo of MarkPAman
    MarkPAman
    Participant

I look forward to frequent questions about why mute buttons the don’t work!

Profile photo of Giga
    Giga
    Participant

A nice compromise would be to be able to make those switches “hold to switch” like the 48V switches because I think Chris does have a point; it’s all too easy to touch those assign- and mute buttons on the fly. (on the Ipad anyway)

Giga

Dick Rees
    Participant

OK.

I made a quick template out of paper. Too thin to prevent engaging mute and on/off. Transferring to stiff posterboard would work but would require using a stylus instead of fingers.

Clunky work-around but it WILL work.

Profile photo of GCumbee
    GCumbee
    Participant

Maybe I’m just old school and cynical. Learn what NOT to hit. I’m glad these guys don’t fly airplanes. You learn your tools and how to use them. Be careful. Think before pushing anything. Just when you start disabling things you’ll need it and can’t get to it.

Profile photo of Andreas
    Andreas

…or just use QuYou to level monitor mixes, runs well even on iPad…

Profile photo of SteffenR
    SteffenR
    Participant

in the Android App Mute is disabled by default, you have to enable it for changing.

Profile photo of MarkPAman
    MarkPAman
    Participant

Solved it!

Assuming your extra users are sticking to the processing and setup screen & will not be wanting to change patches etc, then you could use the iPad’s Guided Access function.

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT202612
    https://www.wikihow.com/Use-Guided-Access-to-Disable-Parts-of-an-iPad-Screen

I’ve just tried it out, and it gives some “extra” things you may consider a benefit too.

One simple rectangle can cover all Mute, On, & Pre/Post buttons – though it would also cover Pan.
    It will also cover Mute Groups when you select that tab (or put them in custom strip) though you could still access them by putting them on a soft key if needed.

On the home page, the Shut Down button is protected which can only be a good thing!!!!

If you need Pan, then two smaller rectangles would leave that available, though wouldn’t protect the Shut Down button any more.

It’s a little fiddly to get the areas you want to lock, in exactly the correct place, but you only need to do it once for each iPad & after the first time is quite quick. Hint – don’t try to draw the long thin rectangle you want, just make a large square, then drag the corners to the right place.

Assuming your users can be trusted, I see no reason for them not to have the access code for set up, so that they can turn the restrictions on & off as they wish.

Profile photo of crizdee
    crizdee
    Participant

Brilliant, Guided access works a treat. thank you for sharing.

Chris

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.