Any tips for quickly reducing residual feedback on a mic channel?

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu general discussions Any tips for quickly reducing residual feedback on a mic channel?

This topic contains 23 replies, has 14 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Giga Giga 6 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 16 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Mike C
    Mike C
    Participant

Here’s another vote for trying it with no reverb and see what happens.
    Maybe I don’t get out much but I have never heard of the mic that you are using. After a quick search I found them but could not find and frequency response graphs for that mic, I know it says on their website that the mic needs no eq but unless you have a perfect sound sound system in a perfect room something is going to need to be EQ’ed. Have you tried any other mics.

Profile photo of GCumbee
    GCumbee
    Participant

This is an amazing thread. Sorry to be ugly but it’s not like we all just started doing sound lately. Many like myself have been doing it 40-50 years. Feedback is nothing new but is controllable. If you can’t change speaker location or find the offending frequency then just turn it down a little. Period. If you need more vocal volume turn the band down. I rarely ever have any. Some but I know what I need to do to fix it.

It’s really a no brainer.

Profile photo of SteffenR
    SteffenR
    Participant

It’s really a no brainer.

it really is for us older guys… 😉

Profile photo of Dick Rees
    Dick Rees
    Participant

OP states the phenomenon occurs on occasion and quickly tails off, then goes on to state in a reply that there is no compression or other dynamic processing, only “a bit of reverb as needed”.

One possible inference is that the phenomenon is simply a long reverb tail and a ‘verb with an excess of certain occasionally troublesome, venue dependent frequencies. Terming the phenomenon “feedback” may well be apocryphal and prejudicial to finding out exactly what’s going on and how it might best be addressed.

I for one cannot accept that (given the intimations from the OPs statements) the problem is one of simply exceeding the limit of system GBF but rather an artifact of the only processing applied: the reverb. Thus, logic dictates examining what occurs when the processing is removed.

Years of experience have trained me to read between the lines, carefully enumerate possibilities suggested from the available information and search for demonstrable proof before signing off by just turning things down. I want to understand what’s happening, where it’s happening and why it’s happening. To me, that’s engineering.

Profile photo of airickess
    airickess
    Participant

I have to agree with Dick on this one. Turning it down is an immediate solve to the problem (and we have all turned it down during feedback) but it doesn’t determine the origin of, or the fix to, the reoccurring problem.

Profile photo of coffee_king
    coffee_king
    Participant

I appreciate everyones continued thoughts on this matter.
    Can I EQ out this “Frequency” on the reverb channel in the future

Profile photo of Giga
    Giga
    Participant

Here’s another thought: you haven’t set it up so that the reverb is feeding back into itself have you ? (And don’t ask how I got that idea)

Giga

Profile photo of coffee_king
    coffee_king
    Participant

Here’s another thought: you haven’t set it up so that the reverb is feeding back into itself have you ? (And don’t ask how I got that idea)

I have previously had issues with reverb feeding itself back in some kind of loop (I cant remember how I fixed it now, but I did) so this may have cropped up again.

Profile photo of Giga
    Giga
    Participant

In my case, I assigned the output of the effect back into the input of said effect… hmmmm, bad news and lots’o noise 🙁

Giga

Viewing 9 posts - 16 through 24 (of 24 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.