Analoge output audio Levels

Forums Forums SQ Forums SQ feature suggestions Analoge output audio Levels

This topic contains 8 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of robashard robashard 5 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of robashard
    robashard
    Participant

Hi

I just got my SQ5 last week and am delighted with it.

My field of work is in TV broadcast in the UK. While most of my time is spent in big TV studios doing fairly high profile shows, occasionally we have to set up in small locations to record and multitrack shows. They are comedy shows and have an audience. Whilst they are multi-tracked, I try to achieve a useable mix, and have set up the SQ with compressors and eq just as I would on a full sized console like a Studer Vista or Calrec Alpha.

One thing that I have found is that when I send -18dBFS tone to the main L+R output, the analogue main outputs are 4dB higher than with normal broadcast gear.
    I understand that I’m in the minority in using the mixer for scaled-down broadcast work, but are there any others that would find an analogue output level settings page as part of the Setup Menus, useful?

Profile photo of lightingman117
    lightingman117
    Participant

Run the main L+R output fader @ -4dB Why make a code change for something so minor?

robashard
    Participant

Because when you pull down the master fader, the digital versions of the mix on the multitrack then be low and will not correlate.
    In broadcast it’s not minor at all. Levels are a very precise and accurate thing.

I can work around but it’s not ideal.

Rob

lightingman117
    Participant

I don’t understand.

The multitrack session grabs each individual channel independent of L/R mains fader.

Unless you are grabbing the LR Mains signal, but then you can use a MTX to offset the analog output from the main output.

robashard
    Participant

When recording for broadcast, we run a multitrack which has individual mics in it, some sub groups like clean chat, pre and post fade audience, and the mix, and this is what post production (the edit and Sound dubbing) expect.
    But I have to feed some of the VT record machines’ analogue inputs and I also want to view the levels on my BBC PPM’s. If I run them correctly, the mix on the multitrack will be 4dB low. As an aside, this also messes with where the overall limiter is set, and the gain structure of the mixer leading up to it.
    I also feel that it’s an unusual level to have picked. Strangely, I have a Motu (American) FireWire audio interface, and -18 tone comes out of that bang on 0dBu.
    Look, it’s not the end of the world, but it’d make my life a little bit easier, and make the SQ more compatible with other equipment.
    I can of course work round, but with those levels able to be set as I’m asking, it all falls into place, just as it does with the studio gear I use every day.
    For PA and foldback, you effectively turn it up until it’s as loud as you want it. In broadcast, you very much have to hit a fairly precise target. 4dB wrong is massive.

Profile photo of DavidCo
    DavidCo
    Participant

I believe +4dBu is standard in every other pro industry, broadcast being the exception.

Could you use a C network of resistors in an XLR barrel to create a 4dB inline attenuator? I suspect these would become useful to you for all sorts of non-broadcast equipment.

DC

lightingman117
    Participant

US Broadcast is +4dBu
    Pro is +4dBu

If you run your analog output offset from the multitracks via a MTX there will be no difference.
    If it is really that big of a deal then build a resistor network.

https://www.soundonsound.com/sound-advice/q-whats-difference-between-ppm-and-vu-meters
    https://dt7v1i9vyp3mf.cloudfront.net/styles/news_large/s3/imagelibrary/q/qa_2-ZrJdHHqgLnV9txjoQymwfml0awPR_nst.jpg

Profile photo of Mark Oakley
    Mark Oakley
    Participant

Or run your recording mix from a stereo matrix set to -4 db. Then you could have both levels be correct.

-Mark

robashard
    Participant

Yes, I think the Matrix running at -4 will work, so thanks both for the suggestion.
    I have also realised that I run this into a distribution amp, and I can tweak that down.

Cheers, Rob

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.