Analog Insert Latency (average) ?

Forums Forums SQ Forums SQ general discussions Analog Insert Latency (average) ?

Tagged: , ,

This topic contains 5 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of volounteer volounteer 4 years ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of John
    John
    Participant

Anybody measure, or know the exact latency introduced by a hardware unit via a hardware insert (analog). I tried nulling with the channel delay and can’t get it as close as I would expect or need for critical use. I want to try some of my hardware on some busses and channels for studio work, but need to get the latency sorted and I would prefer to avoid loop back tests if I can help it lol. 0.2 MS is about as good as it gets thus far. I tried looking for published specs but the manual says nothing other than they aren’t compensated.

Thanks

Profile photo of Scott
    Scott
    Participant

I would also depend on the latency of the device (or device chain) that you are inserting. If you just used a cable to go from out to in I’m guessing that it adds around another .7ms to that source.

Profile photo of John
    John
    Participant

No it’s not .7, that’s the quoted fixed latency of the desk end to end. Loop back via USB with simultaneous click to two channels with one having an analog insert in bypass (the unit not the insert)shows 36 samples between transients at 96K. Is there a way to get finer control of the channel offset or switch to samples?

Would be nice if A&H would comment.

Profile photo of Scott
    Scott
    Participant

36 samples works out to be 0.375ms. I would actually expect it to be higher, but yes an official statement from A&H would be nice.

Profile photo of ioTon
    ioTon
    Participant

Hi Folks,

yesterday I measured the latency of my SQ5 in combination with the AR2412.
    Here’s the result!

Greetings,
    dd

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Profile photo of volounteer
    volounteer
    Participant

@john

there is no average

just a minimum for each place that latency can happen

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.