Alternative to DPA 4088 headset mic

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu general discussions Alternative to DPA 4088 headset mic

This topic contains 2 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of  Anonymous 8 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of gilly
    gilly
    Participant

Hi guys
    I know this isn’t directly related to QU24, but you may be able to help.
    We have 2 DPA 4088 headset mics that connect to Sennheiser True Diversity EW100 G2 transmitter pack, but we have been having a fair amount of trouble with these head sets in the last while with loose connection at the connection point near the transmitter pack causing very loud crackling noises on stage whenever the speaker moves about and touches off the pack. We have gpot them repaired (i.e. new connector crimped on) but we find after awhile they again give trouble. I pinpointed the loose connection not at the actual connector itself but in the wire just slightly above the connector in the middle of the shrouding. I think the wire is very thin and the shrouding over the connector should be more tough to prevent wire breakage.
    Anyone know of a decent alternative but more robust headset mics that would be compatible with the existing transmitter packs but would be more robust?

Profile photo of dpdan
    dpdan
    Participant

I have been through this more times than I would like to remember at a ton of theater jobs.
    There is no fix except to instruct each user to not smash the connector and it’s wire in their costume, pocket etc.

The best thing is to keep track of how many shows are on each mic and then cut off the plug and about two inches of wire, then resolder it and use shrink-tubing to provide some sort of protection from too much bending.
    There is no fix for these tiny, frail, completely unreliable headworn mics, no matter who makes them. DPA, Countryman etc.
    I don’t care if replacement cables are available, the cables are too expensive, just get a nice soldering iron by Weller WLC100 and some shrink tubing and maintain them yourself.

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

Not all headset wire is equal!
    AKG I found to be quite good as it has like a nylon woven thread inside the actual wire, however this will eventually go after many yanks or jerks.

I have hired many multiple (lots of between 8 – 24) headsets to schools etc and they are pretty tough on them.
    I found a way of making these last although it is not for everyone as some people particularity professionals require the very thin wire.

However I have used the Decappa range where the headset wire is replaceable with very small screw in plugs on each end… so…
    What I did is get clear heat-shrink that shrinks down to a quarter of its original size.
    You need to be able to get the heat shrink over the screw in plugs on each end of the cable.
    The problem here is it is impossible to get the screw end and wire down the length of heat-shrink.
    ANSWER to this problem: *air compressor* and you blow the compressed air with the compressor gun down the end of the wire feeding into the heat shrink. Its quite amazing how fast this air pushes the thin flexible wire with its connector down that heat-shrink.
    Then heat shrink onto each end of the plug. Sometimes a wee touch of glue to secure the heat-shrink to the plug. (As if the heat shrink comes off the plug at the transmitter end you have defeated the original purpose of the job)

Be careful not to apply too much heat (when shrinking the heat-shrink) onto the wire as you can melt the thin wire.
    I think those Decappa replacement wires or cables with adaptor are available for all types of headsets.

hope this helps

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.