Alternative Needed

Forums Forums SQ Forums SQ general discussions Alternative Needed

Tagged: , ,

This topic contains 4 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Tom Tom 1 year, 7 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Cjeff550
    Cjeff550
    Participant

Hello All,
    I have two SQ6 consoles and one GX4816 stage box.
    My setup is as follows: GX4816 > Cat6 > S-Link of SQ6 Console (for FOH Mix) DANTE CARD >>> CAT6 >>> POE 24gig Switch >> CAT6 >>> DANTE CARD SQ6 Console (For Streaming/Broadcast).

My Dilemma: Dante Card in the FOH Console has died and I don’t know if I’ll be able to get another one before next Sunday. I have no Audio to my control / Broadcast room, Killing our ability to stream.

I NEED AN ALTERNATIVE ROUTE TO GET ALL AUDIO CHANNELS TO THE AV CONTROL/Broadcast SQ6 Console.

Any Thoughts???????????

Profile photo of Hugh
    Hugh
    Participant

For several years I have been pleading for an appropriate processing controller for the outstanding DX expansion boxes. While SQ desks will function with the subject DX stage I/O alternatives: they are high quality entry level consoles designed to implement the internal I/Os with limited external stage box options. For many reasons the DX expansion stage box alternative is the real deal for most professional protocols: including improved pre amps and converters along with a logical placement of the stage I/Os.For these applications the first bank of the SQ’s I/O are a dormant option that is seldom, if ever used while additional interface needs and expanded core capabilities are expressed every day in this forum. Faith based installs are a perfect example of the need I am advancing.

I greatly appreciate the role my SQ5 has played in my specific limited channel count for live and studio needs, however the fact is I have never used it’s internal XLR I/Os. The SQs are an ideal introduction to “World class sonic processing” however they are not, and never were intended to be a comprehensive processing controller for deploying and the extended professional processing needs for 48 channels of DX expansion stage box I/Os. The ability to access expanded connectivity and missing D-Live features is a big deal in most professional applications. Offering more than 16 faders is not nearly as important as the functional processing capabilities of the controlling desk.
    Hugh

Profile photo of Søren Steinmetz
    Søren Steinmetz
    Participant

1: obvious – get a new Dantecard 😉

2: if you can bypass the switch and get a clean direct Cat run, then a S-link card in the FoH console.

Profile photo of Brian
    Brian
    Participant

I can think of two other options that will work……

1) You’ll need to get an SQ SLink card. Put in in the console that the rest of the I/O is attached to. Then run a network cable from that SLink card to the Slink port on the 2nd SQ console.

2) Use a analog split and run analog lines to the 2nd SQ6. Hopefully you don’t need more than 24 inputs or else this method won’t work.

Profile photo of Tom
    Tom
    Participant

The best solutions have already been made, but here’s one more:

1) Did you look at Audinate’s Dante Via software?
    At FOH you could tie line inputs to USB out-> PC with Dante Via -> Network to 2nd console’s Dante card.
    There will be a noticable delay (expect something around 20 ms for USB + 20 ms for Dante Via),
    and it will be limited to the 32 Channels of SQ’s USB interface.
    For streaming the delay might be acceptable until you get replacement hardware.
    I’ve tried that once with a SQ-6 -> USB -> PC with Dante Via -> Network -> 2nd PC with Dante Via -> Firewire -> Presonus StudioLive24 Gen. 1. It worked, but of course with a delay inhibiting live use.

2) the remaining channels could be added like Brian suggests (analog lines).
    Or, if you have enough free XLR outputs on FOH or GX you can also tie line your inputs directly to free XLR outputs and run
    analog cables from there. Then you don’t need a physical analog splitter.
    But you’d have to add input delays to compensate for the USB/Dante Via delay of the other channels.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.