Allow USB B streaming on QU-PAC stereo tracks

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu feature suggestions Allow USB B streaming on QU-PAC stereo tracks

This topic contains 5 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of [XAP]Bob [XAP]Bob 6 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Mbirame
    Mbirame
    Participant

There is an issue when importing QU-16 scenes where we use USB streaming on the stereo tracks (track 17-18, 19-20, 21-22). When you import those scenes in to a QU-PAC (and I assume a QU-32) the tracks are moved to the ST1, ST2, and ST3 channels. The problem is that those channels can not handle USB streaming so a user is stuck having to reroute all the routings, etc to other channels manually.

My feature request is to please allow USB streaming for those channels like you do on the QU-16 and the QU-24-if there is a 32 track limit then just don’t allow a user to assign more than 32 channels to USB.

Profile photo of [XAP]Bob
    [XAP]Bob
    Participant

I would suggest that double routing the top 6 tracks might be an easier way to make this work, so you pick them up from both 26-32 and ST1-3.
    It also reduces the violation of the ‘analogue local routing’ principle.

Profile photo of Mbirame
    Mbirame
    Participant

I don’t know what the ‘analogue local routing’ principle is. The expanders are able to be routed from any input to any input on the boards. What I’m saying is that USB could as well.

Your solution does not fix the problem where a QU-16 user can currently create a scene using USB on the stereo tracks and that scene is not compatible on a QU-Pac or QU-32.

If the USB can not be made to be usable on ST1, 2, and 3 of a QU-pac or QU-32, then there should be an option on import for scenes where those tracks can be automatically moved (with routing intact).

[XAP]Bob
    Participant

Well, the scene is compatible, you just can’t route USB audio to the ST channels in the same way.

One of the main features of the QU range is that they are ‘analogue’ like in workflow – particularly for the local inputs.
    The USB inputs are treated as local rather than dSnake in this case, since you can reconfigure them on the DAW…

Yes this means that on the 32 channel brain you can’t push DAW signals to the stereo channels, but that’s a relatively small price.

My suggestion would be to maintain the current USB routing, but on the 32 channel brain if you choose USB routing for the ST inputs it would pick up USB channels 27/28, 29/30, 31/32 respectively. This ‘double routing’ of the top few channels does the least damage to the overall 1:1 mapping which is the basis of the current routing on the desk, but improves the support for the ST channels on the larger brain.

Profile photo of Mbirame
    Mbirame
    Participant

Well, the scene is compatible, you just can’t route USB audio to the ST channels in the same way.

I do not consider it compatible if I can route USB to the ST outputs on the QU-16 and then that routing is broken when opening the scene on a QU-PAC. That is the opposite of compatible in my opinion. Again-I disagree that there is some fundamental 1:1 routing on the desk that must be preserved. They have already decided not to follow that with the dSnake, so it is not a sacred cow to them.

My suggestion would be to maintain the current USB routing, but on the 32 channel brain if you choose USB routing for the ST inputs it would pick up USB channels 27/28, 29/30, 31/32 respectively.

On a QU-32 you can not choose USB routing. That’s the point. On a QU-16 you can, and then when you import that scene into a QU-32 those ST tracks don’t work.

What I’m saying is that instead of just having a scene that doesn’t work, you should have the option to have those ST tracks copied over to 27/28 29/30 and 31/32 with routing intact. Then you can maintain a functionally usable scene when doing a transfer and it would also maintain your precious 1:1 routing. 😉 Maybe we are both saying the same thing as a solution-but in any case, I think a solution is necessary. Even the guy that I talked to yesterday from A&H when I demonstrated the issue just said “oh wow, man. Yeah-sorry about that.”.

[XAP]Bob
    Participant

You can’t choose the routing on a QU16 either – but there are few enough channels that the DAW can push to anything.

The point is that the DAW can choose which channels to send to, so the flexibility isn’t needed on the desk. On the dSnake you may well want to repatch between bands at a festival, so it is needed.

The only issue is that there aren’t enough USB-B channels to allow you to push all the way up to CH37/38 to send a signal to ST3.
    The ST tracks are somewhat different from the mono tracks in their processing etc, so I see why they are maintained as ST when shifting scenes.
    Since you (and I can’t imagine you are alone) want to push USB-B data at the ST channels it should be enabled.

Personally I think it would be easier to have the ST channels pick up the last 6 mono channels if you ask them to source from USB-B than to shift the channel processing to the mono channels.

Did you point the A&H person to this thread?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.