Allen & Heath Zed 1000 Powered Mixer problem

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu general discussions Allen & Heath Zed 1000 Powered Mixer problem

This topic contains 32 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Rob Rob 4 months, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 33 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of volounteer
    volounteer
    Participant

@SteffenR

Not only native English speaker (USA version but some GB and Standard not so much Aussie) but a professional writer for some years too.

Don’t know if this is just AH or if all of audio has a problem but I also read what AH calls sends are actually receives at the point I was looking at.

They are sends from the other endS but that is not the issue. How does one find the inputs being received?
    Look at every single send point and make a list yourself?

Profile photo of Giga
    Giga
    Participant

I’ve never had the pleasure to work on one of those ZED mixers but in this situation here’s what I would do:

* find some passive speakers and their appropriate cables and see how it sounds when you use the powered outputs
    * “if” this console has send/returns on the main outputs be sure to clean them and/or jumper them with a known good cable
    * “de-oxit” the XLR sockets on the console that you are currently using
    * make sure you’re not using sub-groups or if you must make damn sure the subgroups are routed correctly to the main out

Good luck !

Giga

Profile photo of Scott
    Scott
    Participant

Have you tried running the K12.2’s on an aux out? I know that you don’t want to run them this way normally, but I was curious as to whether or not they sounded any different being driven from an auxiliary output instead.

Profile photo of Mike C
    Mike C
    Participant

* “if” this console has send/returns on the main outputs be sure to clean them and/or jumper them with a known good cable

Good point, the ZED mixers do have L R insert jacks on the mains and I have seen insert jacks that go unused become intermittent.

Cleaning them or jumping them would be on the trouble shooting list.
    To jumper them instead of a cable you would need a 1/4 inch TRS plug with the tip
    and ring linked together.

The ZED series are good analog boards, I have a couple of the smaller ZED10’s, handy for small events and they make a nice USB IO interface to a computer.

Profile photo of andrewallen90
    andrewallen90
    Participant

i just wanna say for the last time i tried everything and when i hook up my keyboard with trs cables nothing. When i hook up to the mixer it’s like war war III . I will return the speakers back and i will send my mixer for allen Heath to check the problem i just got tired guys.

andrewallen90
    Participant

Like i explained i did every freaking thing that i knew and this thing still plays on my last nerves no kidding. I also mentioned that at the meter the volume are not equal and the volume on is lower like a lot than the other and i did everything until now check cable swap. The best for me is return the speakers back get my money back and send the mixer to Allen & Heath for service. End of story

Profile photo of SteffenR
    SteffenR
    Participant

sorry but
    If you have absolutly no plan what you are doing then it’s time to learn something, maybe….
    some people here tried to provide you with useful information
    to answer a question about settings in the speakers with the types of cables used is ignorant

to ignore everything and then saying you did everything… indeed…

that was a waste of time for us

volounteer
    Participant

@andrewallen90

Why not tell us exactly how you have everything set up and not just assume magical cables have any involvement with this.

Clearly you bought that z1000 used as it is the XP era of mixers. Else by now you would know the answer to your original question. So it would follow that you must have bought those speakers used too. How can you be so sure the z1000 is the problem and not the speakers which you may not have even set up correctly.

You may have done everything you knew but you did not do any of the things suggested which you did not know.

@SteffenR nailed it in his reply to you
    +1 for his answer

andrewallen90
    Participant

Look guys the mixer was brand new as well as the speakers. i don’t buy used stuff not hard feelings here. Like i explained i run out of the main xlr left and right to the speakers.
    1. Right goes to right and left goes to left speaker both ends XLR. Secondly is the speaker QSC is set up correctly its set to line level and the gain is at 12:00 which is fine there. checked everything

SteffenR
    Participant

at 12:00

12 what… clock, 12dB

volounteer
    Participant

@andrewallen90

I looked to buy one for myself this week, but all I can find is that it is obsolete and nobody has them for sale.
    If you say you just bought it I have to be skeptical. Pls tell me where I can buy one new today. Tnx.

If you say you bought it brand new 20 years ago then I believe you.
    Perhaps the hardware has just simply failed now.

You are using the correct outs to the speaker. So your original question was answered.
    But later you contradicted yourself with different symptoms. So what is the real problem?

You say you have the speaker set correctly, but no way for us to verify that.
    And that speaker looks like it has multiple levels of settings that need to be actually be set not just looked at on the screen , as well as being correct.

Have you tried another source to drive the speakers?
    Have you tested the z1000 with different speakers>

SteffenR
    Participant

If you say you bought it brand new 20 years ago then I believe you.

the ZED is not that old and is out of production since last year

Have you tried another source to drive the speakers?

he did that with his keyboard

Profile photo of Mike C
    Mike C
    Participant

Troubleshooting is the process of elimiantion, at this time you have not eliminated anything but decided to just dump
    it all.
    You don’t have that many pieces of equipment involved here not to be able to narrow it down to the problem.
    While you may indeed have a single bad piece equipment the odds are it’s all not bad.

We tried.

Profile photo of Mfk0815
    Mfk0815
    Participant

Nobody mentioned the quality of the source and how it is handled with the mixing desk. maybe the Problem starts on the inputs not the outputs. But I am afraid that we never will know that because bot the mixing console and the speakers may already sent back.
    As Mike said

Troubleshooting is the process of elimiantion

and we never started really to eliminate something.

Profile photo of Mike C
    Mike C
    Participant

Nobody mentioned the quality of the source and how it is handled with the mixing desk. maybe the Problem starts on the inputs not the outputs.

I kind of alluded to that among my suggestions by trying headphones to listen to mixer and then that was going to lead to PFL’ing the the input channel….oh well.

We never really heard much of anything about what else was involved other than the over priced mic cables and a failed attempt of what sounded like to plug a keyboard directly into the speaker.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 33 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.