Allen & Heath GS3 into Logic Pro X

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu general discussions Allen & Heath GS3 into Logic Pro X

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Mike Mike 9 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Mike
    Mike
    Participant

Hi,
    Can anyone give advice on hooking up an Allen & Heath GS3 to Logic Pro X. I was given the desk and would like to use it in conjunction if possible, especially for acoustic, electric guitars and vocals. I’m an analogue novice and would appreciate any advice.
    My current interface is a 2 input Forte though I suspect I’ll need something else.
    Thanks Mike

Profile photo of Andreas
    Andreas

Good old GS3? The one in my avatar on the left? Ok, you’re aware that this is a full analog desk and you hopefully do not expect it to work as a DAW controller for your logic, right?
    I guess you’re asking for a multi-channel audio interface for your mac, correct?
    To get a proper answer you probably should explain a little more your needs and intended use of the console. For recording only up to two channels a time you may be fine with your current interface, just connect it to one of the group outputs.
    For multichannel recording it totally depends on your expectations. For Home-Studio purposes an eight channel device connected to the group outputs may work nice. If you intend to record each individual channel during live concerts, you obviously need more channels.
    Since the console has mic inputs you may decide to operate the interface on line-level, in that configuration I ran the MOTU 24io for many years until I had to understand that modern interfaces may provide “better” mic preamps (in terms of noise margin) compared to the GS3 so I’ve switched to a rack of three M-Audio/Avid ProFire2626 which directly took signals from stage and forward on line level to the desk.
    If money is not an issue, I’d prefer to go for RME or Qu… 😉

Profile photo of Mike
    Mike
    Participant

Thanks for your help Andreas.Very useful.
    It’s for home recording so i’m going to pursue your 8 channel suggestion.
    Cheers
    Mike

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.