After a week, some suggestions and wants

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu feature suggestions After a week, some suggestions and wants

This topic contains 9 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Spike Spike 9 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Spike
    Spike
    Participant

First off ,dig the pre amps and I love that you can overdrive a bit if you want(most digital boards suffer here).The workflow is so easy and the mac works great with it.When dialing in the eq parameters it’s really jumpy and needs to be addressed so you can do exact EQ changes quickly without the numbers jumping up and down slightly erratically .Also an instant reset without having to go back to the library would be helpful.As for the FX I was worried about .I’m all about quality over quantity but sorry much more variety is still needed.My personal suggestions would be some sort of SSL type master buss compressor,(The compressors sound great by the way),a distortion or amp simulator or both,harmonizer,Reel to Reel Tape Simulator, 12pole low pass filter with cut off and resonance, analog tape style delay, the dynamic EQ from the ILIVE and maybe a vocoder. I’m know it sounds greedy but I wish it was a full multi fx processor since I cant use my outboard. Which brings me to my next want, the ability to use AU (audio Units) fx though a virtual buss (the onyx has had this for years and I know this board can beat the Mackie! ,Studiolive and MIDAS do allow you to do that too I believe) say run WAVES IR Reverb on FX buss 4. That would rock. Also just realized they could write a patch so I could route one of the pair of outs to an external FX like a Vintage Lexi/or Eventide that you like and patch back in to one of the stereo ins .Seems like it would be just a bit code(ya right) to make that happen since the routing is all digital. Well I hope this helps make someones life easier someday. The external AU fx to the board and the slight EQ adjustment is my most wanted though Spike

Profile photo of DavidCo
    DavidCo
    Participant

Hi Spike,

Take some more time to read the manual. You’ll find there is already an extensive reset mechanism already present.

DC

Profile photo of BLKGHOST
    BLKGHOST
    Participant

Also just realized they could write a patch so I could route one of the pair of outs to an external FX like a Vintage Lexi/or Eventide that you like and patch back in to one of the stereo ins

Use a stereo mix output (let’s say Mix5-6) on the back of the board to the external FX unit and return to a stereo input (ST1). Mix5-6 is now your FX5 and you have your FX5 Return on ST1 on the same layer as the other returns. I don’t see the need to patch on the firmware to allow this. Am I missing something?

Profile photo of Andreas
    Andreas

…and using FX units hosted on PC/MAC should work as well when patching MixOuts to USB Sends and return wet signal via USB back to channels.

Profile photo of Stonepiano
    Stonepiano
    Participant

If you can spare a mix output, it’s just your good old-fashioned analog aux-send. And here the ability to split the stereo sends would really be a very nice option. I rarely send a stereo signal to a reverb.

BLKGHOST
    Participant

Splitting the stereo mixes is something that has been asked since the beginning and many firmware updates later it’s still not there so my guess is that it’s simply just not possible. Even the Qu-32 that came out later have the same number of mono and stereo mixes as the other 2 in the family. Best case, they would probably need to share the same processing because of the current architecture. And if that’s the case, giving an option to do it would be pointless since you can just use panning to get the same result.

Again, it`s just my guess and I may be totally wrong there. I love the board the way I got it and any new features they may add in the future will just be a pleasant bonus for me.

Profile photo of Stonepiano
    Stonepiano
    Participant

Alright, but panning is a waste of an output. They claim the Qu has lots of horsepower under the hood for future updates, so why not rewrite this to begin with something useful? I know the stereo sends are there for in-ears in mind, plus extra feeds for broadcast and what have you, but the idea of using some outboard fx is appealing. But this way you run out of stage monitor feeds pretty quickly.
    Don’t get me wrong, I love working on the Qu. It sounds good and mixing on it feels almost analog. I don’t need any more TV’s on my console

BLKGHOST
    Participant

When I look at the block diagram, the mono mixes have a different path than stereo mixes. On a stereo mix path, there’s no way to split the signal in 2 before the processing and the stereo physical outputs can’t be patched after a mono path. It’s not about lack of processing power but about how the circuit as designed.

Profile photo of Spike
    Spike
    Participant

Ya, your right bro, I’ve just been busy enjoying it!

Profile photo of Spike
    Spike
    Participant

Cool, Thanks for your input, I’ll try that later. I love the QU even more now!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.