Aes

This topic contains 5 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Mike C Mike C 5 years, 12 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Creator
    Creator
    Participant

So was just wondering, We just got a cheaper camera for our church and was wondering if I can use the aes Jack on the qu24 and get an xlr to 3.5mm cable and get it to work. I know the cable exist but aes is digital and the camera has a 3.5 mm mic input which is analog. Or would I need to get a converter?

Profile photo of GCumbee
    GCumbee
    Participant

That by itself will not work. AES is a digital LR signal. Will not work directly into an analog input. You would need some sort of D/A conversion.

Profile photo of Mike C
    Mike C
    Participant

You can use the 2 Trk out for a camera feed, it’s a Left Right main mix out. Also you could use the ALT OUT and set it up to feed any mix, the Left Right main or a matrix mix
    to the camera.
    Actually using a mix out for the camera feed could be a good idea, that way you could customize the mix for the video.

Now about the cable…just because it would plug in to the mixer and the camera it may not actually work well. The camera wants a mic level signal, any level coming out of the mixer is going to be line level, that will overload the camera input. If the cable is just a hardwired cable with XLR pin 2 going to the tip of the 1/8 plug and pin 3 going to the ring of the 1/8 plug in addition to being overloaded the stereo channels on the audio
    recording will be out of phase with each other, not good if your sitting in between two speakers and listening or of the the video is played back in mono.

I always like transformer isolation between video and audio.
    This piece from Whirlwind does everything you need.

Profile photo of Mike C
    Mike C
    Participant

And now the Whirlwind link!!

Whirlwind LM2C

Profile photo of Creator
    Creator
    Participant

Currently using the alt out for a wireless speaker system in the basement. So I thought about using the 2trk out for the camera or as we did this week used a splitter on the alt out and ran the wireless speakers and the camera from one but they both really need different levels so that’s why I was asking about aes not the 2trk out will have to work just need another cable and to convince the pastor to spend the money on that mic camera adapter, which thank you for the link as well.

Profile photo of Mike C
    Mike C
    Participant

Do you have any open mixes on your board? Remember you can convert a group to a mix.
    The Whirlwind box does not convert AES to analog, it will take mic or line level signals
    transformer isolate them and output it on a 1/8 TRS jack for connection to your camera.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.