Advice to a complete newbie. please. Footswitch FX

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu general discussions Advice to a complete newbie. please. Footswitch FX

This topic contains 6 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of chubbyclubber chubbyclubber 1 year, 4 months ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of chubbyclubber
    chubbyclubber
    Participant

Hello all.
    I’ve been looking through all the threads and I cannot seem to find the answers I’m looking for.

I’m using the QU-32.

Is there a way to control the FX channels ON/OFF switching with a dedicated foot controller switch? I can do it with QU-Pad using soft keypads assigned to the FX inputs etc. But what I desperately need is a way to do this with a footswitch.

To make my life complete if I could also have a talkback mic to the rest of the band on a momentary latch switch/pedal so I could communicate with the band and not the audience Via the IEMs we’re all wearing on stage.

Bluetooth or Wi-Fi or Midi or USB? it’s all so confusing to an old timer like me who’s just been given the responsibility of mixing the live band whilst being the Front man keyboards soloist.
    It’s a shock to the system when the last time I did it was on an old 24 Channel analogue Desk some 20 years ago. I’m totally out of my depth.

Humble Regards

Vinni.

Profile photo of Mike C
    Mike C
    Participant

Via MIDI you can control mute groups and in one groups could be all the FX returns.

No sure if talkback can be controlled with MIDI.

You could do MIDI over USB, all said I’m not a MIDI programmer guy….but I’ve seen it done!

chubbyclubber
    Participant

Thanks Mike.

How do I go about implementing a Midi footswitch?

Does anyone have a link to something I could purchase?

regards

Vinni

Profile photo of Lee7
    Lee7
    Participant

@chubbyclubber

When I bought the QU-16 in January 2014 I had the same dilemma, and although I could mute FX via the iPad it wasn’t ideal, especially at that time, some of our songs started acapella and reverb wasn’t needed for the first opening sections. So I went to see my tech guy about a workaround, he started to build a pedal that worked on midi commands via Cat5. He put together a test pedal which worked great, but by this point I had asked if he could make it wireless instead of having to have a clumsy Cat5 cable trailing across the stage. Again, this wasn’t a problem. Anyway, to cut a long story short, the QU-SB was released and I purchased one of those which has a dedicated FX mute input jack, so the midi mute pedal was scrapped.

So it can be done and maybe there is a dedicated pedal already out there in the market?

Ps, it was suggested that once my warranty had expired he would hardwire an additional input into the chassis of the QU.

chubbyclubber
    Participant

Thanks Lee7.

Some food for thought there.

I like the idea of opening it up and getting the soldering iron out.

Ideally a dedicated wifi or bluetooth pedal will be available somewhere.

regards

Vinni

Profile photo of KeithJ A&H
    KeithJ A&H

Just before anyone opens up their mixer – there is nothing in there to solder anything to!

The best way to incorporate an external switch is by using the MIDI protocol, either through a computer or with a BomeBox (https://www.bome.com/products/bomebox).
    The BomeBox sits on the same network as the mixer and can take a USB or 5pin MIDI input, messages can then be sent directly or translated to the Qu.
    This means you could hook up virtually any MIDI controller or footswitch and use it to control most any parameter on the mixer.

MIDI messages the Qu can receive are all detailed in the MIDI protocol document (http://www.allen-heath.com/media/Qu_MIDI_Protocol_V1.9.pdf).

Thanks,
    Keith.

chubbyclubber
    Participant

OMG I think you are my Hero.

thanks so much.

regards

Vinni.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.