Advice on moving from QU to SQ

Forums Forums SQ Forums SQ general discussions Advice on moving from QU to SQ

This topic contains 5 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Alex A&H Alex A&H 4 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of John
    John
    Participant

Hi guys.
    I’m looking at moving for a few reasons and hope to get some light shed:

1. QU usb recording sucks. We rely on it to mix our live shows and it’s just useless now. How’s the SQ?

2. Also want to clarify: the SQ’s 48 channels: these are patchable inputs with their own processing?
    The QU is one to one right, which is really limited for IEM mixes. But the SQ: I can take 16 local inputs, mix to FOH and then effectively take those same locals, route them to “17-32” – and process them differently for IEM mixes?

3. with 48 inputs: I can use sq as an interface and route usb streamed audio to channels 17-28 and still have my local inputs 1-16 available as usual?

Hope that all makes sense. I’m slowly getting my head around things. I know what I want to do/achieve. If I can clarify things let me know. It’d be great to get some help – I regret buying the QU16 and really don’t want that mistake repeated!

Cheers guys. – John.

Profile photo of Alex A&H
    Alex A&H
    Keymaster

Hi John,

I’m sorry to hear you’ve had trouble with your Qu. Have you opened a ticket with support already? I’d be happy to take a look at the issues you’re having if you would like.

In answer to your questions:

1. The SQ features a 32 X 32 USB interface and a 16 x 16 SQ Drive, all running at 96kHz. I’m not sure what issues you’re currently having, but if you’re having trouble with your system and Qu’s USB interface, you may find you will have the same trouble with SQ. This may be due to your computer not being optimised for real time audio streaming, so please take a look at the steps here to see if this solves the problem: https://support.allen-heath.com/Knowledgebase/Article/View/1204

If this doesn’t solve the problem, please start a ticket at support.allen-heath.com for further assistance.

2. This is absolutely possible! The only thing that will be shared between the two channels is the preamp, so the gain, pad and +48V settings will be the same and any processing after this point will be separate. You can also change the surfaces preferences so that trim is available on the surface instead of gain, giving you +/- 24dB of level control for each input channel.

3. Again, this is also possible. You have up to 32 sends to the USB, along with 32 returns. With the tie lines (socket to socket patching), you could route the 32 input sockets directly to the USB without taking up any of your input channels, then route those 32 tracks from your DAW back to 32 input channels. You can also have up to 32 MIDI fader strips on the SQ, which will allow you to control your DAW channels for level, select, mute and PAFL.

I hope this helps and please let me know if you have any other questions!

Thanks
    Alex

Profile photo of John
    John
    Participant

Hey thanks Alex. I realised once I hit ‘post’ it all sounded a little bitter. (;

Iv’e been using the QU in the studio as an interface with no dramas – love it. It’s the Q drive recording issue I’m really bummed about (me and plenty others right?). I did put a ticket in a while back, but to no avail. (in a nutshell: I cant keep buying flash drives in the hope that it’ll be the ‘one’ that works) I had all sorts of drives (flash & HDs) that worked fine until I updated to the latest firmware. Cant downgrade – i’ll lose my ipads.

So, onward and upward: I really need the live recording (Q-drive) feature to work flawlessly on the SQ?? And by the looks of things the versatility of ‘splittable’ inputs with lots more channels is exactly what i need. Plus footswitch – cool.

Can the SQ pull back to 48k if needed: for old recordings?

Alex A&H
    Keymaster

Hi John,

If you could open a new ticket with me I can look at this in more detail. I’d like to know more about when this issue started to occur and from what firmware versions, etc.

Unfortunately, we can’t guarantee flawless performance with every USB drive, as some are simply not up to the task of Qu/SQ-Drive recording and playback. Generally, stick/flash style drives are not suitable for this task, but HDD or SSD style drives should work well. There are a few listed in the compatibility list: allen-heath.com/usbdevicelist

The SQ supports stereo playback of files using 44.1, 48 or 96kHz sample rates. For multitrack playback, only 96kHz files are supported, so you would need to sample rate convert your files first. I do this often with Reapers ForceWAV setting.

Thanks!
    Alex

Profile photo of John
    John
    Participant

Hey thanks Alex. I won’t open a new ticket mate. I’ve sold the desk and am in the middle of trying to work out what the next one is.

Can you tell me tho: If I use the SQ as an interface to run E-drums through Superior drummer will i be able to record SQdrive at the same time?

Cheers mate.

Alex A&H
    Keymaster

Hi John,

Unfortunately, the USB B and SQ-Drive ports cannot be used simultaneously. This has been requested previously so it is on the list for consideration and may change if it is possible to do so. But at the moment, this is not possible.

Thanks!
    Alex

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.