Adjusting stereo in level to monitor mixes

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu general discussions Adjusting stereo in level to monitor mixes

This topic contains 10 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of garyh garyh 2 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Driller
    Driller
    Participant

Hello everyone,

I’m currently looking at the possibility of getting a qu24 for my rehearsal space. I’ve looked at the manual snd searched on the net but can’t find clarification of this :

Is it possible to seperately control the levels of the stereo inputs sent to the various monitor mixes? Ie could I connect a couple of keyboards to these inputs and then send different levels of these to each monitor mix output?

I have a feeling that one can only control the levels of the 24 mono inputs sent to the monitors (or 16 in the case of the qu16).

Thanks to anyone who can clarify this

Profile photo of Roy
    Roy
    Participant

Yep, you can adjust the level of any instrument in any monitor mix by selecting the layer for that mix and adjusting the sends. I assume you need stereo for IEMs?

Profile photo of Driller
    Driller
    Participant

Hi Roy,

Thanks for your input. In fact I don’t need stereo monitors fir this application, I just want to be able to connect some stereo sources (keyboards, backing tracks etc) and be able to control their output levels to the various mixes.

So is it sufficient to choose a mix button on the right of the board then press the top layer button to be able to control the stereo channels’ level to that monitor?

Profile photo of Mike C
    Mike C
    Participant

So is it sufficient to choose a mix button on the right of the board then press the top layer button to be able to control the stereo channels’ level to that monitor?

That is correct, any input channel and the FX returns all have the same routing and mix selections.

Also remember that the two stereo groups can be switched to operate as a mix should you need more mixes at some point.

You also may want to build up a custom layer (middle layer) that includes the stereo inputs along with the other needed inputs so you don’t need to be switching between layers so much to make mix and level adjustments.

Profile photo of Driller
    Driller
    Participant

Thanks very much for this clarification. In that case I might just be able to scrape by with the QU 16 if I can use these stereo inputs as fully functional instrument inputs 🙂

Profile photo of Driller
    Driller
    Participant

I’ve just had a look at USB connection to a DAW (I want to be able to record the whole band during rehearsal) and it suggests that you can’t send a signal to the DAW via usb and monitor the signal at the same time-you can only send a stereo signal back to the QU for monitoring. I hope I’ve this wrong as it would make things very complicated.

Could anyone confirm this?

Profile photo of Driller
    Driller
    Participant

Sorry can’t see how to edit a post. I wanted to add: will the stereo inputs also be sent over USB to the computer?

Profile photo of MarkPAman
    MarkPAman
    Participant

You can send 32 mono signals to USB at once, anything stereo will take up two of these. So on a QU-16 that could be the 16 mono (=16), + 3 stereo (=22), + 4 stereo FX returns (=30) + L&R to give you the full 32. But you could choose to record mixes instead of some of these.

For monitoring, anything you can normally hear from the desk will continue to work. You can record a whole band playing live & continue to use PA & monitors as normal – if that’s what you meant.

Profile photo of Driller
    Driller
    Participant

That’s exactly what I meant, exactly the reply I wanted.

Many thanks gentlemen for all your help.

Profile photo of volounteer
    volounteer
    Participant

@Driller

It always helps when people state the entire problem up front, and better when without other things that are not involved

reference this to see what you can do
    https://www.allen-heath.com/media/Qu-24and32-block-diagram_V1.8_1.pdf

You only have 3 stereo INputs to the Qu24
    you have 4 mono mix outs and 3 stereo mix outs
    You have LR out and you have 2 stereo matrix outs
    you can fake stereo with mono pairs

you can control the levels of anything to the mixes including mono and stereo ins
    and you can connect keyboards, mikes, ipad, CDs, or any signal to the assorted inputs
    although you might need a DI box for certain items

you should be able to record on the local flash drive then move it to the pc later
    if you record on the DAW then you could monitor there but that is not how it is usually done

not sure what stereo inputs you are referring to being sent to the computer
    how you can monitor seems to depend more on your DAW and how you set things up
    compare the block diagram to what you think you are saying and you should see what you can do

Profile photo of garyh
    garyh
    Participant

Odd/Even pairs of input channels can also be linked together for stereo instruments. One fader will control both the left and right channel and the pan control becomes a width control.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.