Adjusting settings on the MultiTrack record – How to

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu general discussions Adjusting settings on the MultiTrack record – How to

This topic contains 4 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of [XAP]Bob [XAP]Bob 8 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Frank
    Frank
    Participant

Hi,

Wondering if anyone can help me. I am new to the QU-24 board. Here is my question.

I am using the QU-Drive to record some services at our church. We have a system where we only have the drums mixed in at a much lower volume than the rest of the other instruments for the live sound. When I record using the Stereo or Multitrack, you can barely hear any drums. My question is: Is there a way to adjust the settings (volume, PEQ) on the multitrack without affecting the settings on the live sound? If so, how? Thanks!

Profile photo of debzdoodle
    debzdoodle
    Participant

You may have the gains too low. Due to the acoustic sound of the drums, you are perhaps keeping the gain levels low through the PA and not noticing it. Turn the gains up to where they should be so the metering is up to around zero and then turn the channel faders down to adjust to taste through the PA. That way the recording level will be higher on the drum channel tracks.

Profile photo of Frank
    Frank
    Participant

Thanks! We normally adjust all of our instruments for unity gain but maybe I need to doublecheck them while the band is playing.

Profile photo of dpdan
    dpdan
    Participant

I would suggest using one of the stereo mix outputs for the recording,… set all the inputs for that mix to “POST” fader.
    Then raise every fader to exactly zero Db, (well as close as you can get) but you can raise the drum channels to your liking. This way, when you make balance changes in the mains, all the channels in the recording mix will be effected (post fader) in the output for the recording. That mix can then be routed to wherever you wish.
    This is all fine and dandy if you have a stereo mix that is not currently needed otherwise.

Profile photo of [XAP]Bob
    [XAP]Bob
    Participant

Depends whether you are recording multitrack or stereo.

If multitrack then you just need to make sure your drums are set with sensible gain (i.e so they peak into the yellow on the preamp meter)
    This will need them to be brought way down on the faders – or maybe grouped into a DCA and run the DCA low.

If stereo then you need to run a recording mix – this might be combined with a foyer/video feed, but won’t be the same as the loop.

Then record that mix – not the FOH mix, which is accomodating back line, and acoustic instruments, as well as teh room and the congregation (often the single loudest ‘instrument’)

I’d use 9/10 as a recording mix – post fade sends with minor adjustments to the volume around unity – put some compression on the output for safety.
    You’ll likely want to run the speech mics at +10dB, and all the instruments at a bit under unity, so that the recorded level isn’t too variable for speech-music, and so that background music doesn’t drown speech in the recording (pet peeve – background music often makes speech all but unintelligible for those with limited hearing (even just simple age related hearing loss)

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.