Adding remote outputs with Attero Tech unD32?

Forums Forums GLD Forums GLD general discussions Adding remote outputs with Attero Tech unD32?

This topic contains 6 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Chris93 Chris93 7 years, 12 months ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of steverino
    steverino
    Participant

Looking at deploying a GLD at FOH and using an AR2412 + AB168 on stage. The combined 20 XLR outputs of the 2 boxes is creating a problem as I’d need 16 for 8 x Stereo IEM transmitters plus at least 6 more outputs for the PA and other kit.

I stumbled upon the Attero Tech unD32 and it seems like it could really boost my analog output count. Anyone have any first hand experience with this unit with a GLD? Assuming I’ve got the M-Dante card installed, are there any “gotches” to be aware of with something like this?

Thanks.

— Steve

Profile photo of Chris93
    Chris93
    Participant

That seems like it would work, but you’ll still only have 20 actual mix buses available on the desk, so unless you’re wanting to output duplicate copies of the same stuff then adding extra physical outputs won’t help.

How about an ME-1 system to handle some of the ear mixes, or just a separate monitor desk? Could the PA feeds be output as just Left, Right, Subs, Fills for example and distributed from there by an external DSP?

Chris

steverino
    Participant

Chris,

Thanks for the quick response. I don’t /think/ I’m going to run into maxing out my mix buses, the issue is that 10 stereo mixes eats up 20 outputs rather quickly. If having 2 x AR2412s on stage was an option, it would probably be enough.

Thanks.

steverino
    Participant

A bit of a side question:

Is each stereo output counted as 2 mix outputs? IE: 8 stereo IEM mixes counts as 16 of 20 available mix outputs?

Profile photo of Chris93
    Chris93
    Participant

Yes, if you download the editor you can see what combination of mixes you can have in setup > config > mixer config. You already have one XLR output for every mix bus available.

One minor issue is that mono mixes can only be created in even numbers, so if you have 4 mix buses left over you couldn’t set them up as three mono auxes and one mono group, it would have to be either two or four mono auxes and zero or two mono groups. Not normally much of an issue, but something to be aware of.

What sort of outputs are you using for FOH?

Chris

steverino
    Participant

The PA would be setup as:

Main PA L+R, Front Fills L+R, Main Subs Mono, Cardioid Sub Mono

Profile photo of Chris93
    Chris93
    Participant

If you’re doing 8 stereo ear mixes you’ll need to fit the PA into 4 outputs, obviously you can decide yourself how best to do this for your situation but I’d probably give the subs the main LR mix. Of course that assumes that the sub amplifiers/DSP can sum the L+R together and take care of delays for the cardioid array, and you’d lose the ability to do aux-fed or group-fed subs if that’s important to you.

You could also give the front fills the same signal as the mains, depending on the situation (if you can do their level and delay in their own amps/DSP).

..the other option is to make two of the IEMs mono?

Chris

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.