Add range control to dyn8

Forums Forums dLive Forums dLive feature suggestions Add range control to dyn8

This topic contains 2 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Wolfgang Wolfgang 3 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of John McBae
    John McBae
    Participant

Would love a range control feature for dyn8. Having the attenuation completely attached to a ratio is not always useful. Let’s say you want to attenuate the vocal frequencies of a band bus by putting a dyn8 across the band mix and side-chain it to vocal bus so that only the particular frequencies vital to the vocals cutting through get attenuated in the band mix. With the current controls you will always get more attenuation as the vocal gets louder and less attenuation in sections where the vocalist is quieter. Optimally you’d want the opposite since the attenuation isn’t needed when the vocals are loudest. A range control would help greatly here. It would at least stop the attenuation from going beyond the desired amount when the singer is very loud.

Profile photo of Stix
    Stix
    Participant

+1
    or a dedicated Ducker/expander with an attenuation amount range control. As John McBae states above when side chaining to get a fixed amount of attenuation rather than gain reduction following the source dynamics – as the Dyn8 currently does.

Profile photo of Wolfgang
    Wolfgang
    Participant

+1

I use a bus compressor in ducker mode. in the ducker, you can set the value by which the signal should be ducked. In conjunction with the threshold, you can then set the compressor to work with relatively low signals, but when the singers get louder, the signal is not suppressed any more. I get on quite well with this.

I haven’t thought of using a Dyn8 yet, mainly for the reasons John mentioned, but it would be really great if there was such a possibility.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.