Add more scene memories

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu feature suggestions Add more scene memories

This topic contains 15 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Stonepiano Stonepiano 9 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of CameronProAudio
    CameronProAudio
    Participant

Currently only 100 scene memories are supported for Qu which can be a deal killer for theatrical use. It’s not unusual for plays these days to have in excess of 200 mute cues for various mics and input sources. I was surprised when I saw this desk only had 100 scenes since a 15 year old mixer like the Yamaha 01V has that many. Seems any modern digital desk should support at least 256 scenes for a given show file. This desk was on my short list as a purchase option for several local theaters looking to upgrade until I saw that limitation. The GLD supports more scenes, but it’s overkill for the application and budget of those theaters.

Profile photo of mervaka
    mervaka
    Participant

That would depend entirely upon whether enough free memory actually exists.

Until then, there’s always the 01V and GLD you mention. At this moment in time, they seem to be the better suited tool for the job. If budgets don’t stretch, then make do. It’s not the fault of the Qu, it’s built to a price for a certain level of user. Design decisions such as architecture and how much memory were made long ago, and cannot be changed.

Profile photo of GCumbee
    GCumbee
    Participant

It is kind of like saying why does my SUV hold less equipment than an 18 wheeler. Why didn’t they give me that much room? What was Ford thinking?

CameronProAudio
    Participant

Uptight crowd here. I thought this was a feature suggestion forum. I am suggesting a feature for future firmware builds that could serve to help folks as well as increase sales for A&H. It’s not an unreasonable request. Memory is cheap and I suspect there maybe be resources that haven’t been tapped. If the answer is “no,” then so be it. But unless you’re one of the designers or have other specific knowledge of this model’s capabilities, any answer is pure speculation or unwarranted criticism of a valid request.

Profile photo of mervaka
    mervaka
    Participant

I never said your request wasn’t unreasonable, I just took exception to the pretext of shock and disbelief. I refer you to my previous statement: It’s built to a price for a certain level of user. Don’t act so surprised.

Profile photo of GCumbee
    GCumbee
    Participant

Dittos to Mervaka. That was my point. It is what it is.

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

Cameron, be careful. This forum is for fans, some of them are willing to protect it with their own lifes.
    You first have to write this in your posts, else you’ll have to deal with them:

“I love my Qu, it’s the best mixer in the world! And A&H is such a wonderful company, I really need to be the mother of its kids! A&H, make me pregnant! I love you!!”

Only after that you are allowed to write in such a manner as you did. Else some of us here will start protecting their babies (with A&H) and telling you that you are being unreasonable, theatrical, whining, acting like, etc.

It’s not really new. It’s like an allergy that has developed over the last months in this forum. Too much people too close to each other I guess, it’s just too crowded here. The most popular answer to feature suggestions of these last weeks must be:
    “get a freaking 747 if you need more room”.

Everything you say in such a manner as in your OP will be taken as complaining about a very loved baby.

DON’T TOUCH THE BABY!! It’s a bit like the “precious” in Tolkien’s phantasy stuff.

That said, get a 747 if you don’t like the Qu. And stop acting.
    🙂

Profile photo of GCumbee
    GCumbee
    Participant

Good job. GH.

You won’t believe the number of times I have wanted to make snarky remarks to folks who ask for the moon. I just usually wait and Mervaka does it for me. :).

Truth is. I actually agree on this one. QU does need more scenes. GLD has more than enough. I think 200-250 would have been good especially on 24&32 since it is going into larger venues.

Profile photo of [XAP]Bob
    [XAP]Bob
    Participant

I’d expect a production with 200 queues to be using something larger than a QU.

Then again I tend to like to drive the mix, even in a theatre…

Interestingly this is the kind of application where the PC remote control software comes into it’s own – because you can have unlimited scenes stored on disk, and control them over USB…

Profile photo of MarkPAman
    MarkPAman
    Participant

Not something I care about myself, but I can see why others would. I wonder if a stick in the Q drive could be used to make bigger stacks if the desks own memory is too small.

CameronProAudio
    Participant

The current mixer one of the community theater production companies uses is an 01v96. They use Studio Manager via laptop to load up the next batch of cues when they exhaust the 100 memories in there. They don’t need a a more feature oriented mixer, just more scene memories. they rarely exceed 18 headset mics, so a larger desk with more bells and whistles isn’t going to be very helpful for them. Just basic EQ and dynamics and a bit of routing. The Qu24 or 32 basically has more than they need already. They scene memory required is basically to automate scene to scene mic muting and rarely more.

I was thinking if the Qu had limited memory resources, a workaround could be to have a “hobble mode” for the scope of the scene recall to a relatively limited number of functions compared to full blown recall of all the parameters and double up on the number of scene memories. Or even triple them. That’s assuming the actual memory isn’t available – an answer which has yet to be given. A laptop with real-time scene recall would be fine too. Does anyone know if the control software for the Qu has that facility? It would be better to have it in the desk though to keep it self contained.

Profile photo of GCumbee
    GCumbee
    Participant

In the GLD you can have multiple shows each with 500 scenes say on a flash drive. I have never tried to see if the internal memory will hold a bunch.

I have not tried that on a QU. I think its show file acts a bit different. So if that were the case you could have multiple show files each with 100. You would just have to plan for that load time in your script.

Profile photo of Dick Rees
    Dick Rees
    Participant

I think this issue would be tied up with off-line editing. I can see doubling the scene memory and then the flood of ” what good is this without being able to set up scenes apart from the console” posts.

If I were requesting one, I’d certainly want the other.

CameronProAudio
    Participant

Well that’s the thing, they’re already loading the next batch of cues from laptop with their 15 year old Yamaha technology. The QU24 and 32 are both more expensive desks than a brand new 01V96VCM (yup, they still make it) but have the same number of scene memories. I’m I really out of line to think that with more modern, lower cost components that A&H could have upped the scene memory a bit? Maybe I am.

Profile photo of [XAP]Bob
    [XAP]Bob
    Participant

The QU is still being upgraded, although only in the software dept.) There is a PC editor request thread, which makes alot of sense for many applications, and is more likely and more useful than more scenes on their own.

I’d suggest adding your voice to that, and I hope that A&H can suggest whether they are looking at making such an editor…

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.