add another light to the input strips

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu feature suggestions add another light to the input strips

This topic contains 19 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of volounteer volounteer 4 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 16 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Mike C
    Mike C
    Participant

If your camera only has an 1/8 inch input jack it wants to see a mic level input, you need a proper line to mic level
    interface between the board and the camera, I would use a transformer iso type.
    Until you do that you will have noise on the camera audio.

If your camera has professional XLR inputs some where on the camera either in the form of old fashioned switches or in a
    set up menu you want to select line input for the XLR’s.

Profile photo of volounteer
    volounteer
    Participant

@mikec

That is what I had thought. The manual says -64dBV for the mike input BUT another place it said -10dBV. So I cannot say for sure as apparently canon is clueless about the audio as all they talk about is the video and barely mention the audio at all and gave conflicting data about it.

For sure it does have a humongous AGC range.

When the kid running video set the audio meter in the middle of the scale like the manual said to do, there was a lot of background sound plus white noise. When we lowered the audio level in the video camera and used the matrix-1/2 output then the voices were perfect when the pastor talked, and some background noise from the choir mikes when they were on at other times. The white noise problem was gone for speech which was the immediate goal for utoob use.

Now, why did the noise problem start in the first place? I infer that it had all been fine until something else was done somewhere. Unfortunately I do not know everything that somebody does to any of the equipment in the balcony. At times other people may use our equipment when we are not there. No idea if they could have changed the camera settings. Scene recall should protect us from any changes on the Qu32 as only the MD has the magic password for administrator.

I have heard they are planning to get a new camera in the future. I will certainly lobby for one that we can control the audio a lot better. There should be no internal white noise on the camera, and we should be able to totally mute the built in camera mike , and also be guaranteed that we can use the matrix output okay. We can always lower the matrix level to match so that is not as big an issue as the noise problem we had.

I really wish they would mute the choir mikes all the time unless they are actually singing. But the MD is trying to have one set up that is as easy as possible for ANY volounteer to use; ideally only using mutes and faders, with a the softkey muting many mikes at once to simplify that action, so really only the pastor’s mike needs to be opened and one soft key pushed when he talks. To simplify things (for him?) the MD has only one scene for Sunday that is recalled to ensure starting at a known baseline. Looking at who we have for volounteers, that actually might be easier than having a dozen scenes that kept being selected next but were each specialized for a given event on stage.

Profile photo of Mike C
    Mike C
    Participant

Your MD’s mindset of a one size fit’s all preset combined with operators who don’t understand the basic
    concepts of audio production are subjecting your congregation to audio mediocrity at best.

garyh summed it up “. Mixing sound is not a set and forget process, especially if you’re dealing with singers and musicians. Having proper gain from the start is really one of the most important aspects of mixing. It’s like building a home on rock instead of sand, if you get what I mean.”

Again you need to bring in outside help for system set up and trainging.

volounteer
    Participant

@mikec

The MD is overworked. He has some very good people but is also trying to train new ones too.
    And simplifying everything is not bad as this is not a light dazzling rock concert but just a church service.
    And people make mistakes even the experienced ones when too much is happening at once that they have to do themselves.

We are not really mixing anything, certainly not like I do in my home studio. We are just getting the right mikes on at the right time and muting the ones we dont need at a given time. Some folks talk louder or hold the mike closer so we do adjust the faders for that. Once the system is set up there is no need for anyone to be diddling the super strip, or routing and processing screens, yada yada.

The biggest job is really getting the video which is done by other people, and playing back CD tracks when necessary. Also we often have one person clicking on slides when they need to be changed on screen. But the basic board operation could be done with just the basic level operator privileges when the mixes are finalized.

We brought in the dealer for initial set up. And some later tweaking too. I was not there so do not know who did what or why. The gain staging is now good if we do not make changes like that lapel mike required. That was a last minute change at request of the speaker which caused the possible problem. The sound was good on the PA but I have not listened to the recording to see if it had problems.

For a modest sized church I would say that things were done reasonably well although not as well as I was used to back when I was working for fortune 100 companies using their CMMI verified processes.

volounteer
    Participant

I have now seen the old analog mixer the church just replaced with the Qu32.

The GL2400 HAD the yellow light before the peak (not clipping in analog) red light.

Digital is even more important to avoid that red light clipping and needs that yellow light more than the analog did.

Why did A&H remove a feature that was needed even more than the older model which did have that yellow light?

Comments — Alex????

Viewing 5 posts - 16 through 20 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.