ACE Networking Fun

Forums Forums iLive Forums iLive general discussions ACE Networking Fun

Tagged: , ,

This topic contains 7 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Oscar-Soderlund Oscar-Soderlund 10 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Alexander
    Alexander
    Participant

Hello,

I’m looking to build my iLive system next year, and am looking into how I’m going to configure the ACE network.

I’d like to know about the feasibility of switching ACE, for instance could I put a switch between the iDR and my 2 surfaces, and get surface audio to work on both of them? I know this is not supported, recommended, sanctioned, etc. but I’d like to know anyway. I work in IT and am quite knowledgable, so I’d like to understand the specifics of the protocol.

I understand that on the fixed-format iDRs, the ACE port A and B ports are different, as the A port can only handle the surface link, while the B port can handle expanders, other iDRs and the like. I’d appreciate any further information or experiences people can offer me.

Thanks,
    Alexander

Profile photo of tor
    tor
    Participant

You cannot have surface audio no. Seems it should be possible to have 2 surfaces connected, some in here have done it. No audio though.

Better to buy an IDR16 for the 2nd desk and split with ACE cards, and connect the 2nd surface here. And not much more expensive 🙂

Alexander
    Participant

Well, we’ve considered an ACE split, and may do that on some occasions. But primarily, we’ll have a T80 living in the booth for small speeches, assemblies, small concerts (playback and talk mic) and the like. The T112 would live at the mid-house FOH desk, with the idea that you can turn either on and control the same system from either place. Or, if a student is mixing in the house (it’s in a High School), then the tech in the booth can fix it if they get into a bind.

I hope that clarifies things.

Thanks,
    Alexander

Profile photo of ahjeff
    ahjeff

Hi Alex

ACE is a point to point protocol that does not support networked topologies. You can use a switch as a repeater or to combine ACE with other traffic using VLANs, but that’s as far as it goes really.

Cheers

– Jeff, A&H

Alexander
    Participant

Okay, thank you for the help. In that case, is it possible to daisy-chain xDRs? Could I connect the first xDR to the ACE-B on the iDR, then the 2nd xDR to the first via an ACE-B card in it’s slot, or do they both need to go back to the iDR directly?

Thanks,
    Alexander

Profile photo of Nicola A&H
    Nicola A&H
    Keymaster

Daisy chaining of xDR expanders is not supported. Both xDR-16s have to connect to Port B ACE in the master iDR MixRack.

Alexander
    Participant

Okay, thanks.

Alexander

Profile photo of Oscar-Soderlund
    Oscar-Soderlund
    Participant

If you want “driving school” option, i’d recommend computer or ipad on wireless.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.