Ableton panning not working

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu troubleshooting Ableton panning not working

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of David Haughton David Haughton 7 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Olly B
    Olly B
    Participant

Hi all, I’ve come back to the QU-16 having not used it for a while and am starting again from the ground up. One thing i can’t seem to work out is when using the QU-16 in USB mode with Ableton I have the master coming in on 1 and 2. However any track panning i’ve done within ableton has no effect on the master signal. Any ideas?

Profile photo of David Haughton
    David Haughton
    Keymaster

Hi Olly, this may be because you don’t have channels 1-2 linked and panned hard left and right in the mixer. Can you confirm? You could also try patching Ableton’s master out to CH17-18 which is ST1 in the mixer. Does it work then?
    Let us know. Thanks. Harry.

Profile photo of Olly B
    Olly B
    Participant

Hi Harry,

Thanks for getting back, i can shamefully say it was the hard R/L panning on the mixer! School boy error! This is my first digital mixer and got used to the old analogue one being setup permanently. Doh!

Could I ask anther question (probably obvious) while i have someone in the know to ask?

When i’ve been recording my mate I find when i turn off the master to record vocals his headphone volume goes too – it seems to be linked. I can’t work out how to make it independant. I tried pafl but then he isn’t hearing any comfort reverb from Ableton. I’ve tried google searching it loads but still stuck!

Many thanks for your help
    Olly

Profile photo of David Haughton
    David Haughton
    Keymaster

Hi Olly, no worries. You’re not the first do do it! It’s caught me out a couple of times…

Phones is effectively the PAFL output and LR is sent to PAFL by default, so if you pull the Main LR fader down, you lose the LR in your cans (phones) too.

In the studio I use the Alt out for monitors with this assigned to LR Pre in Setup > I/O Patch > Surface.

This way I can leave the LR Main fader and use the independent Alt Out level control to turn down my monitors.

Alternatively, you can connect a separate headphone amp to a stereo mix out and use this to give the artist their very own independent headphone mix. This way they can even have FX on their mix without you having to hear it in the main LR mix. Very useful for divas… and frees up the phones for you too 😉

Let me know if you need any more info.
    Cheers. Harry.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.