Ability to assign input mix contributions to faders

Forums Forums SQ Forums SQ feature suggestions Ability to assign input mix contributions to faders

This topic contains 7 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Bombe Bombe 4 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Bombe
    Bombe
    Participant

Hi!

One thing I am really missing is the ability to assign the contribution of a fader to a fixed mix bus (and NOT the currently selected one) to a fader. The way I use the SQ during my broadcasting gigs would immensly profit from the ability to have such a thing on hand, the custom layers I could build with that would be incredibly useful.

So, Allen & Heath, if you could put that in somehow, that would be great. 🙂

Greetings,
        David

Profile photo of SteffenR
    SteffenR
    Participant

Fixed Mix Bus?
    a sub group?
    the main channel fader is the only fader in this case…

SteffenR
    Participant

I read it five times and still not understand the request…

Profile photo of KeithJ A&H
    KeithJ A&H

Hi @bombe,

This is not something we would put in I’m afraid, as it would go completely against the basic workflow.
    I appreciate it’s usefulness in your specific case, and I’m sure there are a few others, but the current ‘sends on faders for the selected mix’ behavior will never be changed as it’s a fundamental concept for anyone walking up to the console. Plus, there would be no way to see what you were controlling, as there is no way to display both the channel and mix send for each channel strip individually.

There are a couple of things already in the SQ that may be useful however:
    – Soft Rotaries can be used to set the level for fixed channels and mixes independently to any channel or mix which is selected.
    – There are 32 MIDI faders, combining these with a translation program (eg. https://www.bome.com/products/miditranslator) you would be able to loop back control of channel send levels to specific mixes.

Thanks,
    Keith.

Profile photo of Bombe
    Bombe
    Participant

Hey Steffen,

I want a fader that only ever controls input chanel 7’s contribution to mix bus 4, regardless of which mix bus is currently selected. Is that clearer? 🙂

Greetings,
        David

Profile photo of Bombe
    Bombe
    Participant

Hey Keith,

thanks for the prompt reply (even if it’s not the one I wanted). 🙂

Well, there would be a number of ways to handle the display (e.g. allow the user to specify a custom name and color for any combination of input channel and mix bus, that’s only 576 more names and colours!) but yes, if of course “mix selection always changes the target of a fader” is fundamental in concept (and not only in realization), then my suggestion can only be declined. 🙂

Greetings,
        David

SteffenR
    Participant

I want a fader that only ever controls input chanel 7’s contribution to mix bus 4, regardless of which mix bus is currently selected. Is that clearer?

yes.clear

there is no other live sound board that can handle your request, but some broadcast consoles will…
    but these are very expensive compared to the SQ

Profile photo of Bombe
    Bombe
    Participant

I mean, I can always duplicate a channel and use the original one for the Main and the second for the mix and as long as I have free input channels I guess that has to suffice. 🙂

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.