AB168 + QU-16 Failure

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu troubleshooting AB168 + QU-16 Failure

This topic contains 40 replies, has 17 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of [XAP]Bob [XAP]Bob 8 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 41 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of ruidjedi
    ruidjedi
    Participant

Hi,

Just last night I had an issue with my AB168 linked to my QU16.
    Basically the sound comes through but you can not adjust the gain or add phantom power.
    The outputs kept working fine, but we had to re-route all inputs through an analogue cable.
    We had a power issue just before, not directly involving the mixer or the stage rack, but on the same electric system. This issue caused our main breaker to jump and the only consequent issue seemed to be this loss of control.

I just tested it with both my QU-16 mixers, and the issue remains.

Is there somthing I’m doing wrong, or should I just take it to my distributor for analysis?

Best regards,

Rui Miguel

Profile photo of GCumbee
    GCumbee
    Participant

First obvious thing is try a different DSnake Ethernet cable.

Profile photo of mervaka
    mervaka
    Participant

Sounds like your mains isn’t reliable. Did you not try reconnection of the dSNAKE connection, or power cycling the desk?

Profile photo of McIvy
    McIvy
    Participant

Hi there,

We have an identical problem with a brand new AB168 and a QU-24.

Other dSnake boxes work fine and we’ve tried all sorts of cables, but no control of gain, pad or Phantom on AB168 switched inputs, making the stagebox essentially unusable.

Audio passes perfectly well in both directions and both devices seeing each other. Everything normal on QU-24 local inputs but as soon as you yellow light the inputs to dSnake, the desk shows gain and phantom power changes, but nothing happens on the stagebox.

We did a firmware upgrade to latest version on the QU-24.

Before we raise the issue with tech support, anyone with ideas please step forward!

Regards to all,

McIvy

Profile photo of Hawk
    Hawk
    Participant

I just had the same problem last night !!!!!

Almost have to cancel the show !!!!!

It’s just the second day I start using my new AB168. I have to move everything to the stage so we can connect analog. I don’t think it has anything to do with CAT5e cable or power. The AB168 stays in this problem forever, no way to recover.

As a $1400 stage box, this is not acceptable!

Profile photo of McIvy
    McIvy
    Participant

Hawk,

If you have identical symptoms to ours above, it sounds like a Comms Board failure on the new AB168 and you should raise a Technical Support Ticket with A&H and refer back to your Supplier immediately.

Best of luck.

Profile photo of Hawk
    Hawk
    Participant

Yes, it is identical. I just submit a ticket. Did you just get a new one, will the new one possibly have the same problem?

Profile photo of McIvy
    McIvy
    Participant

Hi Hawk,

Simple AB168 internal Comms Card swap-out by A&H Service Distributors solved the problem, following quick and accurate remote diagnosis under Warranty Ticket. All working fine at present.

Should therefore be a quick fix, but has to go back to Service Centre.

Regards,

Profile photo of Larch Audio
    Larch Audio
    Participant

Argh, just happened to me on my 3rd time out with my AB168+Qu-24. Swapped out Ethernet cable, rebooted everything. Brought everything home and reset the firmware, as everyone above, but to no avail. Used the
    ab168 for outputs, which worked fine, but had to create a 16 line snake with lots of connected XLR cables. Had exactly *1* left in the hamper when all connected. Fortunately got to the gig 4 hours early or this would have been really bad. I have a couple weeks before the next show when the ab168 is essential, but really never want to have this happen again. I use the AB168 plugged into a Furman, so it not have seen any spikes at any time. Odd that it doesn’t have an on/off switch though, as turning things on/off via plugging is often a bit dicey. And, of more concern, is the replacement board also likely to fail at some point in the future or is this now a fixed problem? Never want to have to do that again.

Profile photo of Hawk
    Hawk
    Participant

Mine is still in repair, but I also fear it would happen again. Anyway, I really think A&H should compensate some of the loss we suffered due this design/manufacture problem. As a $1400 snake box, it is not suppose to have this kind of problem. I’d rather spend less money and get a more reliable AR2412 now.

Larch Audio
    Participant

I have a theory folks. Ever plug/unplug the ethernet cable while the ab168 is on? Makes noises, acts funny,etc. I have a feeling there is no protection circuit on the ethernet card – which is unusual any time after 1996, but possible. I plan to ONLY connect the unit while the unit is powered off as a precaution. My dealer graciously got me a replacement immediately, so I, at least, am back in business.

Profile photo of Hawk
    Hawk
    Participant

I don’t think that is the reason. Being digital, when you plug and unplug the ethernet cable, there is no noise or anything like that. Glad you got a replacement so quickly, let us know if it is working properly over time.

Larch Audio
    Participant

It appears Allen & Heath is aware of this and they are – to their credit – working on a solution for me. Current theory seems to be that some ab168s revert to an older version of the firmware on some connections to some Qu series mixers some of the time. Connecting to a GLD re-updates the firmware and problem solved. I suspect there will eventually be a newer firmware version that prevents the reversal. Not sure how that will get applied at sites that don’t have GLDs, but if the GLD can update the firmware, there have to be other means as well. Hang in there and contact your sales rep or the company if you experience this. They want to get this solved as well. Fortunately, it seems to be rare.

Profile photo of McIvy
    McIvy
    Participant

Hmmm. Not sure about that? Our problem was definitely confirmed as a hardware failure requiring a board swap. No mention of a firmware incompatibility issue, which is concerning.

Profile photo of Hawk
    Hawk
    Participant

If it is a firmware issue, I think QU should be able to update the firmware like GLD.

Anyway, I’m exchanging mine to a AR2412 for more outputs and hopefully a more stable snake.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 41 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.