A very stupid mistake!

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu general discussions A very stupid mistake!

Tagged: 

This topic contains 5 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of LKY LKY 9 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of mamerica
    mamerica
    Participant

I made a very stupid mistake last week. It all started a couple of months ago when I installed the latest update on my Qu-16. I modified my default scene to include two VCAs. One for vocals and one for instruments. I have used the mixer at several festivals this summer but always as a monitor mixer only so I never used my default scene.

Last week I was running second stage at a music festival. Everything was wired. I was playing music through my phone into ST3. It sounded great! The monitors were set and the first act did their sound check. The MC announced them, I pushed up the faders and… no sound! I checked the assignments. I checked everything I could think of but no output. After about ten minutes of messing around, I decided to use a different mix (9 & 10) and patched it into my amps.

An hour or two later, I remembered the VCAs! I had assigned them to channel 15 & 16 in the custom layer and the faders were all the way down! Boy was my face red!

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

Yep, that would do it.
    To be honest that is my greatest fear with the Qu-16 (my churches first digital console). Cause with an analogue mixer everything is out in the open for you to see.
    And with my church being used by our primary school, I make use of the re-zero mixer button very frequently. I wish there was a way a digital mixer could show all of its settings at once like an analogue mixer does.

Profile photo of [XAP]Bob
    [XAP]Bob
    Participant

I wonder if the iPad app (and/or screen) could show “ghost” faders which account for DCAs?

Profile photo of mamerica
    mamerica
    Participant

No,
    They don’t have to do anything. This one was completely operator error. It was my own fault.

Profile photo of [XAP]Bob
    [XAP]Bob
    Participant

They don’t have to – but there as you say there is nowhere obvious that the DCA effect is shown (Actually isn’t there a virtual DCA lamp on the channel strip on the iPad already, as a hint – can’t recall if the same is available on screen as part of the channel processing screen (don’t have either available at the moment).

User error on a multi layered desk is often tricky to find, since there are so many places to look – you’ll likely look at the DCAs pretty fast next time, but I still think that a relatively simple software change could make it easier for other people not to fall into the same trap – Good UI design starts with “User error” and continues with “How can we make it easier to avoid that error”…

The Channel processing screen is probably a good place for this – there are already a couple of things (compressor/gate) which impact a GR monitor – the DCA(s) could also be represented (in a similar fashion, but probably separate since the signal is affected at a different point in the stream)

Not a bug, but a reasonable feature request to improve the UI.

Profile photo of LKY
    LKY
    Participant

Agree, it would be nice to have some sorta ghost display or something…

There is the DCA blip on the iPad app that shows its associated…

But, say 50% the image of the levels difference from normal to affected by DCA would be pretty trick…

I dont know thier software coding, but I’d think a simple quick calc could be shown via changing the opacity or even color wouldn’t be too hard…

The OP should post this in the new features forum…

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.