A bit disappointed.

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu general discussions A bit disappointed.

This topic contains 7 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of funkcity funkcity 8 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of GCumbee
    GCumbee
    Participant

I have to admit. I am a little disappointed that A&H didn’t show much new at NAMM. Just some new Zeds and dLive which has already been out for awhile. First NAMM for it. But was expecting maybe some firmware upgrades for QU or GLD. Not sure what else I expected but these events usually dictate a rollout of something big or semi big to keep folks talking the brand up. Maybe it’s just that NAMM over the years has become such a guitar and drums show that pro audio takes a way back seat.

So here’s hoping for NAB, hmm. Not likely. More like Infocomm or WFX or Europe shows.

Profile photo of dpdan
    dpdan
    Participant

I kinda feel the same way, NAMM is like walking into a Guitar Center store, you know,, three 17 year old kids playing a Fender guitar with new auto looping distortion pedal made by XX. Us audio engineers/installers are much happier at the NAB show. I went to it in New York a few years backl and it was just so great!

Profile photo of Showtime
    Showtime
    Participant

Probleem is that al the resources at a&h goes to the dlive software. qu and gld has to wait.

Richard

Profile photo of robbocurry
    robbocurry
    Participant

As a QU owner I can’t say I feel too neglected, the regular firmware updates are giving me a lot more than I paid for:)

Profile photo of GCumbee
    GCumbee
    Participant

I guess that QU update is not that old so maybe unfair there. GLD seems pretty old on update as I remember. I guess I just thought there would be more. Time will tell.

Profile photo of [XAP]Bob
    [XAP]Bob
    Participant

Don’t get a Roland mixer then…

Last update 2013, only two since 2012.

Hey – it still does everything we need it to, so no complaints, but…

Profile photo of airickess
    airickess
    Participant

I have a FOH engineer friend who went to NAMM and he too complained about the lack of any new pro gear there this year from many different manufacturers.
    It is the National Association of Music Merchants, so it doesn’t really surprise me that there is a focus on musical instruments and peripheral equipment. My past visits to NAMM didn’t leave me impressed with the amount of pro gear there, so I’m not terribly surprised by folks’ observations about this year’s NAMM.

Profile photo of funkcity
    funkcity
    Participant

I put a QU-16 into a church with lots of different kinds of services and events.
    No in-house mixer person so…An iPad sits on the Piano and the piano player can make adjustments.
    It has been flawless. The price of a Dugan MY16 automixing card for a Yamaha console is over 2600 dollars street.
    The new software upgrade for the Qu series is free and it includes automixing based on Dugan gain-sharing concepts.

I was surprised AH brought the d-Live to NAMM….quite an upscale product… but I got an earful from their representative. They answered all my questions and because I’ve had such a good experience with their Qu line I was very receptive to to their company line regarding the d-Live. I will be involved in building 2 movie theaters that will also have performing arts capabilities. The Digico product line seems to be the buzz for these applications right now.
    But for a similar price point I could put together a 3-surface d-Live setup (FOH, Monitor, Recording/Broadcast)for a very similar price as a single-surface Digico. Hmm…

What I’d like to see on the Qu is a feedback killer and zone-follows-stereo-master audio level. ( I use different mixes for mid-house, vestibule and outside-breezeway zones. The only way to make it follow the stereo master is via patch cord from alt out to those other 2-track inputs to those other mixes. I believe the Qu24 and 32 can do this via the matrix.

Also the Qu-32 is locked to 32 in.
    The d-snake is proprietary….not so in the d-Live
    The Yamaha LS9 can use 64 inputs (2 layers)…this is much more flexible.
    I’ve used a Yamaha DM-2000 4-slots 4 24-channel layers (96 inputs) and 4 24-channel control layers…I recorded to Nuendo MADI-out to an RME PCI card.
    But it took up too many slots for MADI….but it was way cool! Their new Yamaha TF series is disappointing…They don’t want to eat there own subsequently features are lacking. The Yamaha slots are designated at 16 inputs/outputs. They need wider slots (32×32) or more 16×16) slots

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.