A Better Bus Routing Screen

Forums Forums dLive Forums dLive feature suggestions A Better Bus Routing Screen

This topic contains 9 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of pcbuilder pcbuilder 1 year, 1 month ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Dave
    Dave
    Participant

Can we get a tab on the bus routing screen that shows the same info as the input routing screen? I really like being able to see what’s assigned to groups, but finding out where the group itself is being sent (and how it’s panned if you’re in 5.1 mode) is a royal pain.

Profile photo of Duesenbert
    Duesenbert
    Participant

+1 would love this.

Dave if you don’t mind me asking, what 5.1 work are you doing on a dLive? Broadcast, post-production, something else? I’ve always been curious who is using these kinds of consoles in surround.

Profile photo of SteffenR
    SteffenR
    Participant

The same goes for the master, sending to matrixes would be much easier.

Profile photo of Dave
    Dave
    Participant

Dave if you don’t mind me asking, what 5.1 work are you doing on a dLive? Broadcast, post-production, something else? I’ve always been curious who is using these kinds of consoles in surround.

Sorry, I didn’t see this until now. I’m doing live work, but the full answer will probably be a bit disappointing —- I’m not really doing surround sound, I just want my master fader to actually be the master fader.

Our PA has LR, Mono, and Subwoofer inputs. I could set the board to LR+M and use an aux or matrix to drive the subs like some sort of normal person, but the board won’t let me gang an aux or matrix with a master so that would take up two faders and I really want just one master fader (yes, I could DCAs, but then I’d lose the metering). So I’ve got the board set as 5.1 just so I can have one master fader to rule them all (as an aside, I know and accept that from time to time I can be a bit… odd… but I really have no idea why I’m apparently alone in wanting things to work this this).

I’ve thought about not having any main busses at all and routing everything through one stereo matrix and two mono matrices. It’d probably be a bit clunky, but at least it’d let me gang all the “master” faders together then.

I wish there was a 3.1 configuration, or a “+Subs” checkbox for the other configurations… either one would save me two busses because I’m not using the surround left or surround right busses for anything.

Profile photo of Duesenbert
    Duesenbert
    Participant

Gotcha, I see your issue with ganging. In my installed sound gig, the PA has LR and Subs inputs. The fills feed sums the LR channels in the DSP. So from the dLive, I run a regular LR master, then use it to feed a stereo matrix (LR PA input) and a mono matrix (Subs PA input). You could do this and add another mono matrix, but it sounds like you want to feed them all different things, so that might not work as well in your scenario.

Profile photo of Dave
    Dave
    Participant

Yeah. It’s a weird PA…

There might be another configuration I could try. It wouldn’t be one single master fader anymore, but I might be able to make a “band” master and a “speakers” (as in “talking people”) master. Maybe I’ll have time to try it in a couple weeks. Dunno, we’ll see.

Profile photo of msteel
    msteel
    Participant

We also use our dLive with a surround master. Our auditorium is multipurpose but one of the things we do there is theatre and we use side and rear channels for ambiance and special effects. It doesn’t meet all the specs for true 7.1, but we operate it that way. Unfortunately the dLive doesn’t have a 7.1 option, so we run the mains as 5.1, and have to use an additional stereo aux for the rear channels.

Profile photo of Jem
    Jem
    Participant

Going back to the original point of this thread, seeing where groups (and master) are routed to would be very helpful so a big +1 from me. Touring engineers that come through our theatre and use our dLive often ask this question.
    Interestingly it’s available on the QU.

Profile photo of alex.abel
    alex.abel
    Participant

+1

Profile photo of pcbuilder
    pcbuilder
    Participant

Dave, you are not alone in wanting to work this way! However, for my L/R/Mono/Subs venue I acquiesced to the “normal person” LR+M & Subs-on-aux config. The option to gang an Aux with a Master is something I’ve lobbied for in the past. (Sorry I’m going sideways on the OP.)

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.