6 outputs for surround ???

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu general discussions 6 outputs for surround ???

This topic contains 15 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of [XAP]Bob [XAP]Bob 8 years ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Belfast
    Belfast
    Participant

Hi All
    Im setting up my qu 32 as a in house with 6 monitors, but here is the thing, I have a surround system as well
    so what i want is to have these outputs but still have 6 monitors

Rear L,
    Rear R,
    Middle L,
    Middle R
    Front L = Master L
    Front R = Master R
    Middel = could be 1 of the 6 monitors
    Sub = Alt Out

what way to do this ? i thought i could use Groups but Groups also sends it to master which is no good

Help anyone ?

Cheers S. Kelly

Profile photo of cornelius78
    cornelius78
    Participant

By default the groups are assigned to LR, but they can be un-assigned from LR.

Profile photo of MarkPAman
    MarkPAman
    Participant

The groups can be changed into additional stereo Mix outputs, since firmware update – 1.8. See page 39

Depending on how you’d like to work it, the matrix outs may be useful to you as well.

Profile photo of [XAP]Bob
    [XAP]Bob
    Participant

How different are your mid/rear mixes?

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

You cannot go directly from a channel into a matrix send, however subgroups or mix outs can.
    Proportionally.
    I have set up similar to this scenario where I stumbled across this so I’m sure it can be done.
    QU32 is ideal for this as You have lots of surface faders to use your custom layer. Or of course the QuPad app.
    ANd subs from mix 9/10
    Hope this helps, food for thought

Profile photo of dpdan
    dpdan
    Participant

make sure that whatever outputs you use, assign them all to a single DCA so that you have one fader that is used to raise and lower everything equally, just like a home theater system would.

[XAP]Bob
    Participant

dpdan – that would be a nice thing to be able to do – configure the master fader to act as a “master DCA”

Either by physically having that fader act on a DCA, not the master volume

Or by tying a DCA on the OTHER outputs to the master volume value.

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

Yes my thoughts exactly.
    Brilliant idea.

Profile photo of dpdan
    dpdan
    Participant

I was suggesting that all the master faders for the outputs being used would be assigned to a DCA and that DCA (on the custom layer) would be the master, just like the big volume knob on the home theater receiver. 🙂

[XAP]Bob
    Participant

Yes – but then the ‘obvious’ control to grab would not do what you want…

Profile photo of dpdan
    dpdan
    Participant

if you are the operator that set it up, the obvious fader to grab is the appropriate DCA fader on the custom layer.

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

all the master faders for the outputs being used would be assigned to a DCA and that DCA (on the custom layer) would be the master

This is how is see this scenario as well.
    I experimented with quad sound out in a park about 25 years, quite unsucessfully I might add as back then didnt have matrix’s or the sends available now.
    So I am assuming dpdan is talking about 1 DCA Fader for all would be acceptable.

However on thinking about this [in a live sound scenario] you might still want to have just a L/R FOH still hapening for MC/speeches talk to audience etc…

So then what is the data (audio) that is assigned to mid/sides and rears?
    EFX …? for a surround sound?

The original post didnt say if it was live sound, in PA reinforcement, fixed installation or a home theatre?

Profile photo of dpdan
    dpdan
    Participant

So then what is the data (audio) that is assigned to mid/sides and rears?
    EFX …? for a surround sound?

You still have the freedom to route the speeches or MC to the main L/R only…
    EFX and mid/sides etc. would still have only the appropriate channels routed to those outputs for the surround channels.

[XAP]Bob
    Participant

if you are the operator that set it up, the obvious fader to grab is the appropriate DCA fader on the custom layer.

Nope – the obvious fader will remain the master fader on the right.
    That’s what it’s there for after all….

Assuming it’s the only set up I ever used – I might be able to get used to it – but I doubt it.

Profile photo of dpdan
    dpdan
    Participant

while this thread has some discussion about the use of DCAs, I will vent a little,
    it has always aggravated me that when the DCA fader is moved it does not cause the associated faders to physically move.

I’m with you Bob, I wish A&H would allow us to assign outputs to a DCA BUT then choose the actual fader that the DCA is controlled by.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.