500G USB drive from USB B port?

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu general discussions 500G USB drive from USB B port?

This topic contains 11 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of [XAP]Bob [XAP]Bob 7 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Lou
    Lou
    Participant

I’ve been using my Qu-16 and -24 for live sound and recording. To get more channels to “tape” I run the USB to Protools on my MBP. I just garnered a hint from the feature request forum that I could record direct to an external hard drive without the computer… is this true? I need to try it as it would be much simpler, except for having to name the tracks afterwards… I do wish the channel names would apply to the recorded tracks!

Profile photo of MarkPAman
    MarkPAman
    Participant

Pretty sure you can’t record direct to (or playback from) a hard drive with the USB B port. Where are the transport controls for a start?

I’ve just checked through the manual in case I’ve missed something, but I don’t think so.

If I’m wrong I’d be interested in knowing how it works.

Profile photo of [XAP]Bob
    [XAP]Bob
    Participant

It’s called QuDrive – limited to 18 tracks.

Also limited to the USB A port up top

Profile photo of Dick Rees
    Dick Rees
    Participant

I do wish the channel names would apply to the recorded tracks!

They do…numerically. How hard is it to make yourself a track sheet?

PS

I also use board tape.

Profile photo of Lou
    Lou
    Participant

Doing live show, with 20 something inputs, also making sure each gets recorded, with only 2 hours for soundcheck, doing all that, plus having to rename them in post, is just silly. If the software can names them Track 01 they could just as easily name them with the channel label. It is just short-sighted.

Of course I have stage plots and make track sheets, but the world is in the computer these days. That means three times entering the names.

Profile photo of Dick Rees
    Dick Rees
    Participant

I have no problem notating Tr10 : A Gtr.

I’m over 70 with the associated muscular/skeletal problems. What I want is a console that will walk in on its own two (or four) legs…

Profile photo of Andreas
    Andreas

Don’t mix up QuDrive with functionality of a full-featured DAW. QuDrive operates more on a physical level, there is no “project” or similar, just a directory with exactly 18 mono files with fixed names. Anything else would require sort of project management like assigning an arbitrarily named wave file to a particular track etc.
    Second the recorded tracks do not necessarily follow your channels, they can also be fed by a group or mix. No idea how auto-naming would work in that case.
    I’m using the QuDrive as a backup recording in parallel to the all-track recording on my laptop. So the QuDrive, for example, only records a mixdown of some drum channels while the laptop recording gets all toms individually.
    Sure, entering the names one more time may be annoying, but compared to the time used for mixing the recorded material this really is negligible.

Profile photo of Lou
    Lou
    Participant

Thanks Dick and Andreas. I agree with both of you, actually, despite my wish. It would be nice to be able to hand the client the tracks all named and nice on the flash drive at the end of the gig…. that’s all.

But the legs and walking with be nice, even though the Qu-16 is the lightest board I have ever owned…

Profile photo of Andreas
    Andreas

Worked with various multitrack recordings in the past taken from other desks. They were just numbered, not necessarily logically ordered in terms of instruments etc. If Qu could do that, it would be sort of unique feature, I think… 😉

[XAP]Bob
    Participant

Maybe unique – but since we can name groups, mixes, channels…
    It would be nice to have the tracks named something like ’01Guitar’ and the ‘project’ being named as a timestamp (only works if an iDevice is connected)

It’s not a deal breaker for pretty much anyone (I just rename them as I move them to archive) but it doesn’t stop it being a ‘nice if’

Profile photo of Andreas
    Andreas

sure, with track numbers in first place it should be rather simple to just ignore the remaing chars from the filename when loading a multitrack project.

[XAP]Bob
    Participant

Note that they would be the QuDrive track numbers, unrelated to channel numbers (except in playback)

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.